Re: Trunk sale

Don Jensen (dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com)
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:48:30 -0500

From: "Don Jensen" <dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Trunk sale
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:48:30 -0500

I understand that ACTUAL donors must and do waive all rights to the items they donate. Presumably all such DONORS understand that it is a possibility that the item may be deaccessioned and sold/auctioned/raffled. And, presumably, they accept that condition.. The concern is that POTENTIAL future donors, reading in the newspaper or hearing about the sale of deaccessioned artifacts will conclude that IF, for example, they were to donate Grandma's cherished trunk, it might one day be sold, and therefore, they NEVER offer it. Thus, they never talk to museum staffers about donating and find out that the reality is that MOST accessioned items remain in the collection and FEW are disposed of. It is the adverse impression that such public local sales leave with POTENTIAL donors that is the negative that museum professionals tell me should be avoided.

--Don Jensen BOD, Kenosha History Center