Re: Update on Midwest Flooding

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:22:19 -0500

Subject: FW: Update on Midwest Flooding
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:22:19 -0500
From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>

List Serve Members,
  We are forwarding information from the National Conference of State Historic Preservation Offices regarding the recent flooding. There are two documents attached as well.
  Please forward this information to anyone who might benefit from these resources, and if you have trouble opening attachments, or need more information, please let me know directly - 715-836-2250 or janet.seymour@wisconsinhistory.org.
  Best,
  Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region Wisconsin Historical Society
________

Shortly after sending last week's message reminding everyone of the list of resources linked from the NCSHPO website, I received an e-mail from the Heritage Preservation Emergency National Task Force reminding of the resources that they provide. Below are a list of additional links, which will be updated and included in the list on our website.

* Disaster resources for libraries, archives, museums, and historic sites and districts are available at www.heritagepreservation.org/programs/TFHurricanePub.htm
<http://www.heritagepreservation.org/programs/TFHurricanePub.htm> .
* An assessment form, supply lists, and other tools from the Field Guide to Emergency Response can be downloaded at www.heritagepreservation.org/pubs/fgforms.htm
<http://www.heritagepreservation.org/pubs/fgforms.htm> .
* The American Institute for Conservation of Historic & Artistic Works maintains a force of 64 "rapid responders" trained to assess damage and initiate salvage of cultural collections after a disaster has occurred. Cultural institutions needing assistance should contact the AIC office at 202-452-9545 for a referral.
* Many regional conservation centers offer free telephone advice and other services. Contact the Regional Alliance for Preservation at 1-800-843-8492.
* "Save Your Treasures the Right Way" provides simple guidelines for the public to help them salvage family photographs and other heirlooms. A copy is attached. Find other resources for the public at www.heritagepreservation.org/programs/TFHurricanePub.htm
<http://www.heritagepreservation.org/programs/TFHurricanePub.htm> .

Additionally, attached are two documents which you may find either interesting or useful - one is damage summary as of Friday, and the other is information on steps to take to preserve historic artifacts. Please share this information with anyone you think could use it.

Also, if you have reports of damage or response efforts, you can forward them to taskforce@heritagepreservation.org
<mailto:taskforce@heritagepreservation.org> . The task force will continue to monitor the situation and will send out another update next week, which I will forward on to you.

In the meantime, stay safe, stay dry and keep in touch.

Best,

Kristen

Kristen Harbeson

National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers

Hall of the States, Suite 342

444 N. Capitol Street, NW

Washington, DC 20001

(p) 202 624 5465