Last Call for the Fourth WHO/WiLS Digitization Webinar to be Held July 8, 2008

Debbie Cardinal (cardinal@wils.wisc.edu)
Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:17:21 -0500

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:17:21 -0500
From: Debbie Cardinal <cardinal@wils.wisc.edu>
Subject: Last Call for the Fourth WHO/WiLS Digitization Webinar to be Held July 8, 2008

All WiLS Digitization and OCLC Contacts:

There are three seats remaining for the last of the Wisconsin Heritage Online, through WiLS and MINITEX sponsored, series of four two-hour webinars, focused on digitization information and skill development. The previous three sessions have been well received by the participants. The description and registration link is available below. YOU MUST REGISTER FOR EACH SESSION YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND.

The session will be taught by Linda Stewart from OCLC Western, who is based in California. The sessions require broadband internet access and a phone line (800 number). We will send instructions prior to the meeting time for you to download the required applet. I will work with Linda

Stewart to tailor the sessions to our Wisconsin cultural heritage institutions.

*PAYMENT* WiLS will contact you for payment. You may pay by check, credit card, or the fees may be deducted from your WiLS Deposit Account.

Remaining Webinar Date, Time, Topic and Cost:

4) Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1-3 pm CST Metadata for Digital Projects Cost:
$40.00 REGISTER BELOW

If you are interested in attending a session(s) but do not have broadband internet access, please contact us before you register. We will either try to arrange

access at a library near you, or provide contact information for someone registered at a location near you. Please find the REGISTRATION LINK and description for the last session listed below:

*4)* July 8, 2008 1-3 pm Metadata for Digital Projects $40.00

Register: https://www.sporg.com/registration?link_type=form
<https://www.sporg.com/registration?link_type=form&form_id=EF025C8009&vie%20 w_type=windowed> &form_id=EF025C8009&vie%20w_type=windowed

Metadata is a fundamental element of any digitization project. Designed for noncatalogers, this webinar session focuses on using metadata to facilitate both access to and preservation of digital resources. Topics include: review of metadata schema choices, planning for a preservation metadata model, and using XML to store metadata. What you will learn: An understanding of what metadata is and how it facilitates access to and preservation of digital resources including:
  An awareness of appropriate metadata schema, including Dublin Core
  An understanding of current and developing standards
  Consideration of metadata workflows

Debbie Cardinal Wisconsin Heritage Online Coordinator cardinal@wils.wisc.edu 608 265-2138

Project Resources site: http://wiheritage.pbwiki.com/

Portal http://www.wisconsinheritage.org http://www.wils.wisc.edu

728 State St., Rm. 464 Madison, WI 53706 Fax 608 262-6067