Price County Historical Society creates new cookbook

John Smart (jnsmart@yahoo.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:39:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Smart <jnsmart@yahoo.com>
Subject: Price County Historical Society creates new cookbook

The Daily Press Northern Wisconsin's Daily Newspaper

  http://www.ashlandwi.com/articles/2008/07/16/community/doc487e0c1e89b9899 0959423.txt

                  Price County Historical Society creates new cookbook

    The Price County Historical Society has just created its own cookbook,
"Recipes and Remembrances."

                  By John Smart
                  Published: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:38 PM CDT
                  By JOHN SMART

For The Daily Press

The Price County Historical Society has at long last published its cookbook, ”Recipes & Remembrances” — at long last because this project has been in the works for several years now — and it's well worth the wait. It will be a welcome addition to every cookbook collector's library.  The recipes were collected from members of the society and other long-time residents of Price County, and come complete with tales of long ago.

Lapskaus, a Norwegian stew that uses both beef and pork with potatoes and onions, represents many of our early immigrants' connection with their home country, as does Alsatian Potato Salad, with bacon, celery, onion and sweet peppers seasoned with caraway and dill.

Alsatian Potato Salad

   2 1/2 lbs. little red potatoes, cut in half

   3 or more scallions, chopped

   6 slices bacon, chopped

   1 cup chopped celery

   1 red or green pepper, chopped

   1/2 cup chopped parsley

Cut little red potatoes in half and boil until tender.  Do not overcook.  Saute bacon until crisp, and add scallions until tender.  Toss potatoes with bacon and scallions, celery, peppers and parsley with the sauce.

Sauce:

   2-3 Tbls. bacon fat

   1/2 cup cider vinegar

   3-4 Tbls. sugar

   1 tsp. salt

   1 tsp. caraway seed

   1/2 tsp. dill weed

   1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour
 over the salad.

This recipe came from the Edward Hines Lumber Co.'s kitchen records. In the great logging days of our area, thousands of board feet of lumber were cut at the Hines Lumber Mill in Park Falls, employing many locals, and this is one of the remembrances from that mill.

 There are recipes in the book for such forgotten delicacies as pickled tongues and gizzards, and lots of instructions on how to make dumplings of all kinds, from raw potato and mashed potato to bread dumplings.

One contributor remembers the wild rice hotdish that her mother always brought to church potlucks, and another tells about her mother's
"fibber" beef stew, a fib because it was made with venison but she told people who said they didn't like venison that it was beef!

A wonderful recipe from Mrs. Albert Saetebeer, a Polish immigrant who arrived in Price County in 1889, uses venison to make mincemeat, not that raisiney, meatless stuff that's sold in jars, but the real, savory thing: chopped venison and suet, apples, raisins and currants all seasoned with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, mace, brown sugar and moistened with real apple cider. Now that's mincemeat!

One of the recipes in this book is a family treasure from my 96-year-old mother, Dixie Smart: Mother's Onion Pie. She writes, "Our mother, Mrs. Eugene Paquin, often made this dish when we were children. It was inexpensive, tasty, and one our father liked a lot. She never had a recipe for it and, after her death, our father asked if we could make it. So we fiddled around until it came close to the way we remembered it." For our family, this is comfort food.

Mother's Onion Pie:

1 lb. salt pork, cut in cubes

flour

lard or other shortening

water

3-4 potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 cup chopped onions

1 pt. milk

ground pepper

1/3 cup flour

1/4 cup butter

baking powder biscuits

Dredge the salt pork in flour, seasoned with pepper, and brown in a small amount of shortening in a Dutch oven or large iron skillet. Add water to cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add potatoes and onions and simmer for 10 more minutes. Add milk and stir. Make a paste of flour and butter and stir into mixture until thickened. Place baking powder biscuits on top of the mixture and bake in a 350-degree oven until biscuits are done.

A prize recipe comes from an old newspaper article that was saved by Pat Schroeder, the PCHS's late curator who was the originator of the cookbook idea. "The Northwoods Inn, in the heart of Wisconsin's famed northern vacation-land, is at  the junction of state highways 13 and 70 in Fifield. Eli Nicholas is the owner and manager. Lunch and dinner served daily from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m."  Mr. Nicholas is long since gone, but the Northwoods Inn is still there.

Northwoods Inn Cranberry Pudding

Pudding:

   1 1/2 cups flour, sifted

   2 Tbls. sugar

   2 tsp. baking soda

   1/3 cup boiling water

   1/2 cup molasses

   1 cup cranberries, chopped

   pinch of salt

Dissolve soda in boiling water and stir in molasses. Combine with other ingredients and pour into a greased mold or coffee tin. Cover and steam for two hours, and serve hot with sauce.

Sauce:

   1 cup butter

   1 cup cream

   2 cups sugar

   2 Tbls. brandy

Combine ingredients and cook over bubbling water in double boiler for 1 hour. Serve hot over cranberry pudding, plum pudding or fruit cake slices.

There is a recipe for dandelion jelly which demonstrates that, in lean times, everything was used in the kitchen, and a gall bladder cure recipe that calls for steeping chopped red onions in Holland Gin and then taking 1 tablespoon of the mixture 3 times a day. Sounds like a good cure for almost anything!

There's a recipe for "horse cookies" that are really cookies to feed to your horses and a "roach inhibitor" made from lard and boric acid to discourage those creepy-crawlies from invading your home.

Some of the recipes included are novelties (nobody expects readers to actually make roach inhibitor with lard and boric acid) but most of them are encouragement to head for the kitchen.

The Price County Historical Society, incorporated in 1959, is responsible for discovering, preserving and passing on the history of Price County, Wisconsin. The society is based in the Old Town Hall Museum in Fifield, at the intersection of highways 13 and 70. The Old Town Hall served as Fifield's seat of government from 1894 until 1967, at which time it was acquired by the PCHS.

The Old Town Hall Museum provides a fascinating glimpse into the early logging and railroad days of this part of northern Wisconsin. The Museum is well worth a visit, and is open from 1-5 p.m. on Fridays and Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day or by appointment for groups.

Everyone interested is invited to check out the Website at pricecountyhisto ricalsociety.com. And you can order your copy of Recipes & Remembrances there too — simply click on to "Gift Store."  The cookbooks are $10 each (plus $3 shipping), and can be purchased by sending a check to the Price County Historical Society at PO Box 156, Fifield WI 54524-0156. Wouldn't they make great gifts?

John Smart, from Park Falls, is a member of the board of directors of the P rice County Historical Society.

Copyright © 2008 - The Daily Press - Ashland, WI