RE: Antique Appraisal and Open House

David Totten (djtotten@earthlink.net)
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:50:11 -0500

From: "David  Totten" <djtotten@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Antique Appraisal and Open House
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:50:11 -0500

Neither the HS nor the appraiser, who is extremely knowledgeable, professional, and "certified", feels any concern. In addition, the appraisal is verbal only.

We have used this appraiser's services for evaluating the Historical Society's artifacts for insurance purposes. In that case, of course, we have a written report.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave Totten

  _____

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Don Jensen Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:04 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Antique Appraisal and Open House

Not to put too fine a point on it, we have done Antique Road Show type fund raisers and some of our antique dealers were nervous about our using the term "appraise" or "appraisal" in our advertising and promotion. We settled on "value" or "evaluate." Their concern, warranted legally or now, I simply don't know, was that "appraise" carries a connotation they were concerned with. If they estimated Grandma's nightstand at $50 and the person sold it at that value and later learned it was worth a thousand dollars, could that person have a claim against the dealer or the institution for a grossly erroneous "appraisal." We charged for the service. You are offering it free. Perhaps that makes a difference. Perhaps this whole issue is nonsense from a legal standpoint, I don't know. Did our changing of the word from appraise to evaluate lessen legal liability. Again I don't know. But it was a concern to our antique dealers and we changed the wording. We have had no problems at all, I would stress. I only call the matter to your attention, for what, if anything, it may be worth.

--don