RE: Question for Town & City Historical Societies

Monroe County Local History Room (mclhr@centurytel.net)
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:28:09 -0500

From: "Monroe County Local History Room" <mclhr@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Question for Town & City Historical Societies
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:28:09 -0500

If I understand your situation correctly, this is the first time you would be approaching them for money to support you. I would suggest being very prepared to justify why you need the money and what you will be using if for. Basically, in a time when county and state budgets are being cut, you will need to convince them why they should support you. Try to give concrete numbers (or projected) in terms of potential residents served, potential tourism dollars gained, etc. See if the State Historical Society has a fact sheet they can provide you on the monetary value of cultural heritage and tourism and throw that at your boards. Is there a specific project you could ask funding for? Boards like concrete things to fund (a special event, program, project, building, acquisition, etc.). Will your research library also become a repository of county and township records? If so, that might be a hook to get funding as they would be supporting efforts to produce "their own" records.

Just some ideas.

Jarrod M. Roll

Director - County Historian

Monroe County Local History Room & Museum

200 West Main St.

Sparta, WI 54656

608-269-8680

www.MCLHR.org

  _____

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Bev Brayton Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 12:39 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Question for Town & City Historical Societies

The Price County Historical society located in northern Wisconsin receives
$1,000 from the county AND $200 from the Town of Fifield where the museum is located.

Simply put your request in writing to each of these municipalities at the time that their budgeting is on the agenda and ask that they include your historical society in their budget.

Bev Brayton

Price County Historical Society

Board of Directors

Newsletter Editor