Re: Question for Town & City Historical Societies

Lee Erdmann (lerdmann@centurytel.net)
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:26:33 -0500

From: "Lee Erdmann" <lerdmann@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: Question for Town & City Historical Societies
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:26:33 -0500

The City of Berlin includes a $2,000 line item each year in their annual budget for the Berlin Area Historical Society. It is NOT an automatic thing. We have to present our case every year. We try to point out the number of people who come to our community to research their heritage and use our facilities. This past year we had several groups of people
(sometimes just couples) who spent multiple days in the area doing their research. Obviously they take advantage of restuarants, filling stations etc. while here. We are a city of only 5300 in central Wisconsin and have no special attraction to bring people to our city other than festivals etc. To bring any tourists to our city is a good thing. We also present the case that we make our facilities available to the local schools for tours and/or members will do presentations in the classroom if the class is studying a specific historic topic.

As to your research library -- have you contacted the public library? We moved all of our genealogy type records and files to the Public Library for better accessability since our Museums does not have regular daytime hours (just weekends). Our partnership with the Library has been a very good one. They maintain all of our local newspapers on microfilm and have been able to digitize some of our records in co-operation with a University system project which make them available online. This past year the Library Board did an extensive remodel of the interior of their building and created a genealogy/local history section that has been very well received.

If you have no local library, does your school have a library? Maybe you could partner with them. It might be a good thing to get the youth involved also. We need to get the young people excited about local history and preserving the same - it is our route to survival.

Bobbie Erdmann Berlin Area Historical Society