RE: "tagging" artifacts

Waterbury, Cristin (cwaterbury@WisconsinMaritime.Org)
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:45:18 -0500

Subject: RE: "tagging" artifacts
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:45:18 -0500
From: "Waterbury, Cristin" <cwaterbury@WisconsinMaritime.Org>

There is a great publication put out by the Registrars Committee of the American Association of Museums called "Beyond Fingernail Polish III" that is THE best source of information on proper marking techniques for all different kinds of objects. The Registrars Committee web site
<http://www.rcaam.org/> has more information (click on Publications), which I've also copied and pasted below.

Beyond Fingernail Polish III handbook - Latest Version

Contact Devon Pyle-Vowles at dpvowles@adlerplanetarium.org to order.

Updated for the Workshop "The Numbering of Objects for Museums, Historical Houses and Private Collections," Presented by Helen Alten, Northern States Conservation Center, AAM Annual Meeting in Portland, Oregon, May 22, 2003. Sponsored by the Registrars Committee of the AAM.

This handbook includes updated information from both the Beyond Fingernail Polish I and II along with new information prior to the workshop in 2003. It includes new sections on labeling plastics and bar-coding. There is also the lecture notes from the workshop by Helen Alten. (162 pages with a 9 page bibliography) It is designed to assist collections staff in making an informed choice when marking and labeling collection objects.

If I can be of further help on this subject, please feel free to contact me. Good luck with the project!

Cristin J. Waterbury

RC-AAM Treasurer

and

Registrar/Collections Manager

Wisconsin Maritime Museum

75 Maritime Drive

Manitowoc, WI 54220

1-866-724-2356

920-684-0218

cwaterbury@wisconsinmaritime.org

www.wisconsinmaritime.org

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of scandinavia@tds.net Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:56 AM To: local history Subject: "tagging" artifacts

The Iola Historical Society is in the process of inventorying their extensive holdings. Each item will of course be assigned an acquisition number. The question that we have is: What is the best method for attaching a number to an item? For example: a clothing item, a document, etc., etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.