Cataloging Photos

MPHS (MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org)
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:55:03 -0500

From: "MPHS" <MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org>
Subject:  Cataloging Photos
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:55:03 -0500

Sara

You really should talk to Debbie Cardinal with WHO (WI Heritage Online) about working with WHO and Content dm to catalog your photos, especially if you have a volunteer who is willing to scan photos for you.

WHO uses Content dm to build an online archive -- it seems to me the archival part is what you are looking for -- being online is a bonus.

The Mineral Point Historical Society recently started an online collection to archive/ catalog our glass plate negative collection and will eventually use it for two slide collections. Each of these collections consists of over 1,000 images.

The most time consuming part of the project is the scanning. If you have a volunteer willing to scan, talk to Debbie Cardinal ahead of time to make sure you are using the optimal settings etc as you certainly don't want to do hundreds of images and then find you should have done them differently. Even if you decide not to go with the online archive, getting the scanning right the first time is essential.

I found WHO's cost to be quite reasonable -- definitely competitive with the major software packages and I think there are advantages to going with them that you don't get from a software package. Plus, Debbie is great to work with -- very helpful!

You can find out more about WHO at http://wiheritage.pbwiki.com/<http://wiheritage.pbwiki.com/> or contact Debbie at: info@wisconsinheritage.org<mailto:info@wisconsinheritage.org>

If you want to see the first 75 images I've posted for the MPHS, go to http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fmphs<ht tp://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fmphs> This is a work in progress -- I still need to add descriptions to some of the images, plus a cover page, but it gives you an idea of what is possible.

Good luck! Nancy Pfotenhauer Mineral Point Historical Society