Re: ListServ Museum - Question re copying donated printed material

Bud & Marlys Nelson (budmar@amerytel.net)
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:09:00 -0600

From: Bud & Marlys Nelson <budmar@amerytel.net>
Subject: Re: ListServ Museum  - Question re copying  donated printed material
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:09:00 -0600

Why not expand your idea of a spiral bound book with more historical information and an update to present time. Include a photo from the time period/or of the specific building of the business written about by the school child followed by an updated history of the business/ building... still in existence; building in other use now; neither still viable; family owned; family still in the community (we have a couple businesses in the 3rd/4th generation of ownership); etc.

It seems to me that this would then make the writings of the children historical documents supporting a larger historical record of the community. It obviously is more work but should provide a greater return in sales. The casual historian appreciates connecting the past to the present - what we were and where we are.

You do not indicate the grade level of these children in 1935. If one assumes mid grade school, that makes them born in the early to mid
'20's. We have many, many citizens in our community in that age group, and many of them native born. I would certainly take the time to check the names against local records, or with residents in the same age group to learn whether any of the school children are still living and in the area. If found, contact them. I agree; they will be flattered! Let us all know what and how your project progresses. Good luck.

Marlys Nelson, president Amery Historical Society

Marlys Nelson 758A 130th Street Lake Wapogasset Amery, WI 54001 715-268-6719 budmar@amerytel.net