List Serve FW: National Trust: February 2009 E-News

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:34:04 -0600

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:34:04 -0600
Subject: List Serve FW: National Trust: February 2009 E-News

News from the National Trust for Historic Preservation

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region Wisconsin Historical Society Voice: 715-836-2250

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846

Review past messages at: http://listserve.uwec.edu/localhistory/

<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=KQSVIuuV3QvfbHdbnARPhg..>

<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=jDkFddOPX_wUZonV6HW9Ww..> < http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=D2x1xNu-N1c9mm3mknaqHQ..> <h ttp://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=VLX8-RAVqYE3mWK6-nAsWQ..> <ht tp://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=AklPlqRomwKcyZ2Baw0mlw..>
<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=8i13A0noCvvV2CdJkr3FJA..> < http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=pcPPsPfJvMWdEDoFP86UoA..> <h ttp://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=lu6_13R9UKNfVdGM15nqMQ..> <ht tp://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=SnNQjYu-9IzlqnlN98NsKw..>

FEBRUARY 2009 E-NEWS Preservation Proposals for Economic Stimulus Riley Museum Highlights History of First Black Middle Class Fox Oakland Theater Reopens All About Abe: Lincoln Bicentennial Amazing Offers Through National Trust Tours

Stimulus That Makes Sense: Rebuild Main Street, Create Jobs, Protect Our He ritage

<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=OAEZx1aTRF8YCI1_9Fl67A..> Check out developments on the economic stimulus plan in Congress and how th ey relate to our priorities.

On Monday night, in his address to the nation, President Obama called for C ongress to pass a stimulus package that repairs our aging bridges and roads
, modernizes schools, retrofits existing government buildings and helps hom eowners weatherize their homes.

We couldn't agree more! Learn more about how the proposals in Congress cou ld use proven preservation programs to stimulate the economy and follow the
 latest developments using our online Stimulus Tracker<http://my.preservati onnation.org/site/R?i=BJ2ejuEcVSwDfIukdrBxmA..>.

Shining Through: The Black Middle Class Of The Late 19th Century

John G. Riley and his family typified the emerging black middle class socie ty in Tallahassee, Florida at the turn of the last century. Today, his ho use is a museum of African American history and culture, and a local partne r of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. (photo: courtesy of John
 G. Riley House)

Preservationists know that over time, buildings come to mean so much more t han the sum of their architectural parts. Such is the case with the John G ilmore Riley House / Museum of African American History and Culture<http:// my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=NLF_aqOBiuN2bLQvu9dXSw..> in Tallahass ee, Florida. A community and educational center today, the Riley House spe aks to the accomplishments of an entire group of people, the black middle c lass, which emerged there in the latter part of the nineteenth century. Pr ogramming includes an intercultural and multicultural outreach program achi eved through workshops, lectures, walking tours, special exhibits and cultu ral events as well as an instructional program focusing on genealogical stu dies and architectural surveys.

This February 21st, Riley House is hosting the rededication of the Old Hick ory Hill Cemetery <http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=yW5as4gFj3RV 0CZKmicQ0Q..> which is significant for its numerous grave markers fashioned
 in the African burial tradition of randomly arranged words used to confuse
 evil spirits. It is also the final resting place for many tenant farm fami lies that worked for generations on the Welaunee Plantation, where the ceme tery resides.

Find out more about African-American heritage in preservation<http://my.pre servationnation.org/site/R?i=612-PFN_wPXIhDFSYouWCw..>.

An Oakland Star Is Reborn

The Fox Oakland Theater in Oakland, California reopens after an extensive r enovation. (photos: Nathanael Bennett)

After more than $70 million in investment and nearly a decade of planning a nd hard work, the spotlight has returned to center stage at the Fox Oakland
 Theater, in Oakland, California. Originally opened in 1928, the Fox Oakla nd began a slow decline in the 1950s. The stage went dark in 1970 and the theater was abandoned along with other downtown Oakland commercial building s.

The renaissance of the Fox Theater began with the refurbishment of the mar quee and sign in 2001 and efforts expanded to include classrooms and rehear sal space for the Oakland School for the Arts, a charter school that operat es offices surrounding the main theater. Work on the interior of the theat er included restoration of the Moorish, Alhambra-style interior walls and o ther Indian and Hindu artistic motifs. Last week, the Fox Oakland raised t he curtain <http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=eykOmZcbLmW5tc5AfnA 6RQ..> on its newest act as a live music venue.

The Fox Oakland Theater was a 2006 Partners in Preservation grant recipient
. The National Trust Community Investment Corporation<http://my.preservati onnation.org/site/R?i=RRzNF1AAxQgckX87IljgMw..> partnered with its invest or, Bank of America, to bring $11.4 million in historic rehabilitation and New Markets Tax Credit equity to the project. This infusion filled a gap i n financing that enabled the project's completion.

Looking For Lincoln

A special exhibit at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC will fea ture a copy of Daniel Chester French's "Seated Lincoln" statue. (photo: R on Blunt / National Trust for Historic Preservation)

February 12 marks the bicentennial of the birth of our 16th president, Abra ham Lincoln. Explore our President Lincoln Bicentennial page<http://my.pre servationnation.org/site/R?i=J72Y2gDcSvaBQWYqTpJ_Zg..> and learn more abo ut a special bicentennial exhibit at the National Gallery of Art in the nat ion's capital, how your Lincoln pennies can help a good cause, celebration events planned by his birth state of Kentucky and what other communities cl aim a link to one of America's most popular presidents. You can also learn
 about two of our own Lincoln historic sites, President Lincoln's Cottage< http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=ZnQf-ztIV6Y6TP_cEjlzOw..>, wher e he lived during a vital time of his presidency, and Chesterwood<http://my
.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=q7U1D2Ytdys0sqwGUTIjxw..>, home and stud io of the artist that created the famous "Seated Lincoln," the centerpiece of this president's memorial in Washington, DC.

Need to Get Away?

Travelling with National Trust Tours has never been more inviting!

A stronger dollar overseas and special incentives on many of our popular to urs makes this a perfect time to discover our world. More than half of our
 2009 tours offer significant savings, from the waiving of supplemental cha rges for single travelers to discounts for early booking.

Visit us online<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=5dBbR4uTdJxmmqb oqdlOeg..> or call our staff at 800-944-6847 to learn more about why this s hould be your year to take that trip you've always dreamed about.

FEATURED RESOURCE

Join lively discussions on how to keep Main Street businesses and programs afloat in a down economy and the role that web technology has to play in th eir success at the 2009 National Main Street Conference<http://my.preservat ionnation.org/site/R?i=B2bOcc6ztSJWJQWd_JC8DA..> March 1 to 4 in Chicago.

FEATURED PARTNER

Reach out and make a difference in families' lives by helping them come hom e again. Roll up your sleeves and join us for a week of painting, scraping
, and camaraderie with the Rebuilding Together New Orleans project<http://m y.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=j95jkFjJQOtTBAPCUMq_Dw..>. As rebuildi ng of this devastated city continues, we are proud to be a partner of this hands-on effort. Volunteers will experience first hand preservation efforts
 in the area, and meet with staff of our National Trust regional office. Ch eck out our planned work dates.<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i
=UHFDovgn-riNCdLmN7ChCQ..>

MAKING CONNECTIONS

THIS PLACE MATTERS CAMPAIGN. Stand up for what matters by participating in
 our This Place Matters campaign, sponsored by Firemans Fund. Download our
 sign<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=A4Q-p3OG6EgJui2xpzHmQg..>
 (or make your own), take a picture of a place that matters to you and uplo ad your photo and story to our This Place Matters<http://my.preservationnat ion.org/site/R?i=xHLMGRjzmzCtWr3NwYq6Mw..> campaign site. Help spread the
 word about your favorite place, whether it’s your home, an endangered lo cal landmark or a favorite vacation spot.

CALENDAR OF EVENTS. Before heading out the door, check out if there is an event near you, or your destination, on our calendar of events<http://my.pr eservationnation.org/site/R?i=fIroRAXq2OF30VwRUF3Tqg..>. If you have an e vent that promotes a historic site, destination or Main Street community, w e welcome you to submit your event <http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R
?i=_kMM40Skj2UkOgWew0y0xQ..> for our calendar.

PRESERVATION MAGAZINE. Explore the current issue of our award-winning magazine, Preservation<http:
//my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=uLFrYNP2105zB84w6QRq8w..>. A wide v ariety of stories are available online for you.

<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=kjx5CXQgeHpY6m6vGlwZiw..>

NATIONAL TRUST'S AMERICAN EXPRESS REWARDS CARD. Support the work of the Na tional Trust for Historic Preservation by using our Bank of America America n Express Rewards Card<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=mmx-NQ17 oED7cGh3Divb4g..>. A percentage of your purchases is returned to the Natio nal Trust to continue our work saving places that matter to you.

<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=AHjpLZg87eL5_rKUC_H2IA..>

<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=KK8x-8WIKAy4lBgaB9F3NA..> < http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=U3IysuZRBroFshO5w1R0Yg..> <h ttp://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=Nb8x9Ux_1VJ3c_XfRgAhSw..> <ht tp://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=Xq62f8LZrWoZdPg34cHnOw..>
<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=ppZtM5U1cbgV46RhyVGufg..> < http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=4o8PXTx60EVnG8TldXh7bg..> <h ttp://my.preservationnation.org/site/CO?i=v8YjD7_ITYanT2WaPpBHQTw7kRqBjrD Y&cid=1282> <http://my.preservationnation.org/site/CO?i=wiafy14udmUFP2 CK0Z5kfQ9hD1EucQF0&cid=1282>

<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=AV0FrfDVwPVffDEm2qR86w..>

 View This Newsletter As HTML<http://my.preservationnation.org/site/R?i=O 9VJqrnXXwRPtljVONnzpg..>

National Trust for Historic Preservation 2009