Re: Wisconsin Museums Week announcement for the list serv

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:08:52 -0500

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:08:52 -0500
Subject: FW: Wisconsin Museums Week announcement for the list serv

Wisconsin Museums and Tourism is the Focus of the Fifth Annual Wisconsin Museums Week and International Museum Day

The Wisconsin Federation of Museums (WFM) is calling on all Wisconsin museu ms and historical societies to coordinate their efforts to celebrate Wiscon sin Museums Week (May 16-24, 2009) and International Museum Day (Monday, Ma y 18, 2009).

Since 1977, International Museum Day has provided a nucleus for museums’ creative aspirations and efforts and a focus for international attention on
 work done by museums. It is designed to be a world-wide opportunity to pro mote our institutions and reflect on a particular theme.

This year’s theme, Museums and Tourism, is especially relevant as we are so important to Wisconsin’s tourism industry and our local communities. B y offering exhibits and programming for visitors from both near and far, mu seums are important contributors to local economies

This day (or week) can be a springboard for initiatives that promote the wo rk of our institutions to the public, draw the attention of supervisory bod ies and governments to the role and needs of museums, and foster dialogue b etween professionals and across disciplines.

We ask you and your institution to participate in this state-wide program a nd to either create or incorporate existing programs into our state-wide ce lebration of Wisconsin museums. Such activities can be held and publicized throughout the week of May 16-24 or just on International Museum Day, May 1 8th.

WFM will distribute printed materials (posters and book marks) to Museums a nd promote the Museum Week activities of individual museums through its web site and communications.

Last year, more than 23 Wisconsin museums participated and more than 43,390
 people attended Wisconsin museums that week. We will also gather attendanc e data as a further indication of what museums mean to tourism.

There are many other suggestions on the ICOM website ( www.icom.museum/imd. html<http://www.icom.museum/imd.html>). We urge you to coordinate your acti vities with other local museums to avoid duplication or overlap of programs
 and events.

If your organization is interested in participating, please complete the en closed form. The information will be listed on the WFM website as well as i n other local and state media. For more information, please contact Bridgit t Zielke at zielkefamily@charter.net<mailto:zielkefamily@charter.net>.

Note: We have extended the registration deadline for Wisconsin Museums Wee k to Monday, April 13, 2009