RE: Museum visitor sign in log and donation container

Susan McLeod (SMcLeod@cvmuseum.info)
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 23:05:46 -0500

From: Susan McLeod <From: Susan McLeod <SMcLeod@cvmuseum.info>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 23:05:46 -0500
Subject: RE: Museum visitor sign in log and donation container

Hi, Everyone. At the Chippewa Valley Museum, a Life Membership is an endowm ent gift. The amount is set by formula: 20 times the annual fee for the sam e level. This is based on the assumption (certainly not true at the moment,
 but generally true) that over time investment will produce an average of 5
 % annually. We do not spend the principal so the Life Membership creates a n on-going source to continue the value of the gift.

We stay in touch with Life Members in other ways and make other kinds of re quests (capital, special project). The Life Members are among the strongest
 supporters of these other campaigns. A number have added to their original
 gifts to reach another level.

Cheers, Susan

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [ [localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Monette Bebow-Reinhard [grimm1@bayland.net] Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 11:16 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: Museum visitor sign in log and donation container

I agree – I give life memberships only to those who’ve made a considera ble contribution to the museum in lieu of money – for instance, I’ve ha d people cleaning and fixing things inside and not charging. I make them l ifetime, because I hope to be able to call on them again in some manner!

I will be re-doing our membership dues based on a higher charge for those w ho get their newsletters in the mail. People who take it by email should g et a membership at reduced fee.

Monette

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Nancy Frank Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:10 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Museum visitor sign in log and donation container

Paul -

Glad you put this information out, and I will piggy-back one suggestion. C onsider carefully before having a Life Member category. Studies show that it makes people feel like they never have to give again. Unless the number
 is a REALLY large one, I would advise against it. Just my opinion, and wo uld gladly hear other points of view.

Nancy

Nancy Frank