Re: museum activities for kids?

Karen Baumgartner (krbaumga@pctcnet.net)
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 09:57:42 -0500

From: "Karen Baumgartner" <krbaumga@pctcnet.net>
Subject: Re: museum activities for kids?
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 09:57:42 -0500

Russell,

Historical Societies often have a plethora of manual typewriter donations. I've heard curators say that the best use for a manual typewriter is in a children's hands-on exhibit. If you can find the ribbons, it is a learning experience for how hard they are to operate
(children are amazed) and how accurate their grandparents had to be when writing a letter (no backspace for quickly correcting). Carbon paper and typewriter erasers would be for the older student. A small poster of typewriter history or a photo of a local business office showing a typewriter would make it educational exhibit.

Karen