A possible oral history interview

Troy Reeves (treeves@library.wisc.edu)
Fri, 07 Aug 2009 14:01:54 -0500

Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 14:01:54 -0500
From: Troy Reeves <treeves@library.wisc.edu>
Subject: A possible oral history interview

Hello, all:

I received an email request, which I will paste in its entirety below. Since we don't have staff/volunteer time to fulfill this wish, I thought I'd pass it onto this list.

If interested, you can contact Janice directly with the information she provides at the bottom of her email.

Thanks, in advance, for considering this request. I think it would be a worthwhile interview for whomever wants to give it a shot. And I'd be happy to provide advice/support from here.

Troy

--
Troy Reeves
Head, Oral History Program

Pasted request:I am an RN care manager in Family Care Program with Care Wisconsin. One of my members is 21 years old and the oldest living person with Muscular Dystrophy complicated by Wednig Hoffman Disease.

His mind is very sharp as is his wit. He body is frail and he is dependent on care givers. He lives at home with his parents with his mom being a full time care giver. He became an Uncle recently and his wish is to leave a living memorial for his family but especially his nephew. Even though his mind is sharp they is no telling when his body will fail him completely ending his life.

What he would like to have is; someone who could come in and video tape him. He would love to talk about what life is like for him, about his favorites, one being the car he and his step dad worked on which is in the garage downstairs so that would be in the video. Giving advice to his nephew. Things like that.

Unfortunately he can not pay to have this done. I was wondering if someone needed a project to do and has any experience with video taping that would like something like this. I can guarantee that if someone chooses to take this on, that there life would be forever enriched. He is truly an inspiration. I have always left after a visit with him smiling and often chuckling. He does not let his disability affect his mind.

I understand you can not give me any guarantees and that is ok. We have been exploring every avenue we can think of here. The MD society will be doing a short segment on him for the telethon on Labor Day but that is only going to be a few minutes on what is like to live with MD.

I will look forward to talking to you and will appreciate any information or advice you could share with me. I will be back in the office Tues. 8/11 and my contact information is below.

Janice Atwood RN Care Manager Jefferson County Family Care 824 W. Racine St. Jefferson, Wisc. 53549 1-920-674-8035 atwoodj@carewisc.org