Prof Erik Ugland to speak at Luck Museum Wed 2:00 pm Oct 14

Russell Hanson (riverroadrambler@gmail.com)
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:12:57 -0500

Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:12:57 -0500
Subject: Prof Erik Ugland to speak at Luck Museum Wed 2:00 pm Oct 14
From: Russell Hanson <riverroadrambler@gmail.com>

Hi,
  You are invited to an interactive session on journalism and media practices and futures.

  We are trying something new at the Luck Museum tomorrow. We have arranged for Prof Erik Ugland (PhD in journalism, Law degree) -- professor in communication, to be our invited speaker to talk about what is happening in media, journalism and where it all is going. He will be speaking remotely from his location at Marquette U in Milwaukee. The session will be interactive and Erik will answer questions and respond to our comments.

  We are technically ready for the group meeting tomorrow, Wednesday at 2:00 pm at the museum in Luck. It should be interesting, educational and fun!

   Dick Ugland and I tested the remote connection using Skype software on the museum computer and projector to connect with Erik Ugland at Marquette University yesterday.

The connection works fine. We will be able to see Erik on our large screen in the museum and talk to him as if he were in the room. I will give a very brief demo of how Skype works as we make the connection to Erik. Skype is free--you download it from the internet. If you have a high speed internet connection; cable, dsl, wireless, etc; then you can use Skype to visit with your friends, relatives, or people anywhere in the world
--seeing and hearing them as if they were in the room! We added a $35 webcam with built in microphone to the laptop at the museum and downloaded the software and tested it. It is easy to use!

 Erik Ugland has law degree and a PhD in journalism and is a prof at Marquette U in Milwaukee. I talked to him a little on our test setup and I think he will be a very interesting person to talk to about what is happening in media and communications. He will be doing this using remote access; using a futuristic communication technique that has moved from highly expensive satellite hookups to use on your personal computer. With the rapid changes in communication and journalism already underway, we will get an expert's insight into what is and will be coming!

 Hope to see you there. The museum is on mainstreet Luck, WI on the West side of the road about 4 blocks south of Hwy 48. It is impossible to miss if you drive down mainstreet!

Russ Hanson riverroadrambler@gmail.com