Re: Cemetery Restoration Projects

Lisa/Bill Lickel (lickels@netzero.com)
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:04:05 -0500

From: "Lisa/Bill Lickel" <lickels@netzero.com>
Subject: Re: Cemetery Restoration Projects
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:04:05 -0500

PastPerfect NewsletterThe Farmington Historical Society is currently involved in a project to restore a township-controlled local cemetery. We called upon a couple of resource people to advise us: namely, Bev Sillsdorff of the Wisconsin State Old Cemetery Society (WSOCS Welcome to the Wisconsin State Old Cemetery Society - WEB page. ... Wisconsin State Old Cemetery Society. 6100 W. Mequon Rd. Mequon, WI 53092) and Ralph Hendersin of the Monroe County Historical Society. In fact, the Dodge County HS group had Ralph speak at their September gathering, and several of us went to hear him speak. Ralph is very accessible and a good presenter. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wimonroe/MCLHMaRR/cemetery/restore-repa ir-kit.html

Bev has a vast number of resources and good information. She came to speak to our annual meeting last March.

One of our FHS members is very active and involved in this project and made good headway restoring at least three broken, buried stones so far this fall by digging them out and rebuilding the base, as well as using special cleaners and cement to put some of them back together and reset them. FHS hoped to hold a workshop hands-on day at Orchard Grove cemetery. We hoped to do this yet this year, but it looks like we've run out of fall. Perhaps next spring. Since I wrote an article on our project in the West Bend News, more community excitement has come up, with an old, neglected cemetery in the city being worked on, as well as one in the town of Kewaskum.

Lisa Lickel Farmington Historical Society