Re: Mukwonago Museum anniversary ideas? Tips?

Russell Hanson (riverroadrambler@gmail.com)
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:08:49 -0600

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:08:49 -0600
Subject: Re: Mukwonago Museum anniversary ideas? Tips?
From: Russell Hanson <riverroadrambler@gmail.com>

I was part of the 150th anniversary of Sterling Township in 2005. Our local history society, the Sterling Eureka and Laketown HS (along the St. Croix River in Polk Co). did several things that were not too hard to accomplish.
 Mostly this was figuring out how to "join" the other events going on in the community during the year and adding a local history flavor to each. We also had a story each issue of the weekly newspaper giving history and telling what was happening next. We had only a one-room museum, so were not aiming our efforts at getting people to come there.

  We had a traveling outdoor/indoor booth that we took to events (the County Fair, local picnics, family reunions, Memorial Day (we did cemetery walks),
 etc. We published a book at the end of the year on the newspaper columns and additional stories and photos. We did events including a town baseball reunion, a rural school reunion, and old settlers picnic. At the local "Fun Day" celebration we added an auto/tractor show. We just added a piece to things that were already happening most of the time. That way the planning and work is minimal compared to doing celebrations/events totally on your own

By finding out what is already happening in your community and offering to do a "program" for them-- a short talk with lots of projected photos giving the basic history with as much interest as possible, you drum up museum traffic. We got a lot of free publicity with posters and newspaper stories.
 We also found some "collectors" of local memorabilia to create programs around while getting them to show their collections.

We asked the Township board for money to celebrate the event-- we said "only
$10" long pause "for each year the township has been in existence,
$1500." We also made $1500 on the book sales profits. We had monthly speakers/programs to bring people in too. Most of our events broke even because we added a donation jar by the coffee and cookies. Everything was
"free."

A more recent program at the Luck Area Historical Society had a flint napper demonstrate the process as well as talk about age and value of stone tools. One event in the area let people bring in their locally found stone tools/arrowheads and identify and value them. One of our members sold a spear head for $700 to a collector after finding out the value!

Although we do have many native Americans in our neighborhood and a local reservation, we haven't had much luck getting speakers or active involvement in our musuem at Luck, even though we do have a Native American area. One of the local tribe members has offered to do a traditional Ojibway beading class--something that should be pretty interesting. We did manage to rent a nice circulating display for a few months on the NW WI Native Americans.

Russ Hanson Sterling Eureka and Laketown HS Cushing, WI