List Serve FW: Midwest Oral Historians: February news & notes

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:47:20 -0600

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:47:20 -0600
Subject: List Serve FW: Midwest Oral Historians: February news & notes

________________________________ From: Midwest Oral Historians [treeves@library.wisc.edu] Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:17 AM To: Seymour, Janet I - WHS Subject: Midwest Oral Historians: February news & notes

[Note: This is from Anne Dodge, NEH Project Director, National Public Housi ng Museum. I cannot attach the flyer or agenda. If you want the flyer or a genda, contact me (Troy) or email Anne for flyer, agenda, and more informat ion at adodge@publichousingmuseum.org<mailto:adodge@publichousingmuseum.org
>.]

I'm the Project Director for the National Public Housing Museum's oral hist ory program, and I'm writing to invite you and the rest of the Midwest Oral
 Historians group to our March 1st plenary. I'm attaching a flyer about the
 day as well as a draft agenda of the plenary proceedings. Please feel fre e to forward the flyer on to others.

One of the goals of the plenary will be to flesh out a pilot oral history p rogram that focuses on youth as interviewers; we're hoping to launch the pi lot this summer. We're also going to be brainstorming about different muse um programming ideas that will grow from our oral history work. The plenar y is free, and lunch is included, but space is limited - you can RSVP to me
 or to or to rsvp@publichousingmuseum.org.

Note: People from throughout the U.S. comprise the Midwest Oral Historians.
  We gather informally to assist in the advancement of oral history in the U.S. Midwest and to determine whether a more formal organization should be created. All replies to this post go directly to the listserv moderator, T roy Reeves, head of oral history program at University Wisconsin at Madison
. So, let him now if you want your response to be forwarded to the group a t large or if you would like to be removed from the listserv. And check out
 our website at http://moh.library.okstate.edu/.

Three quick hits:

1. Meet Herman Roberts: During the 1950’s and 60’s Robert’s Show Cl ub was the place to see top Black entertainers like Sammy Davis Jr. ,Sara h Vaughn, Redd Fox and others. Segregation limited housing options for the
 entertainers, so Herman Roberts opened the Roberts Motel . The obvious nee d for a Black motel encouraged him to open four others. In 1970, Mr. Robe rts opened a sixth motel that included two penthouse party suites, a resta urant, lounge, ballroom and 250 sleeping rooms. Come to learn about the hey
 day of Chicago’s South Side, view a photographic exhibit of the night li fe, and meet the man who was one of its central figures. It’s a piece of Chicago Black History that you won’t want to miss!!

Tuesday, February 9th, 1:30-3:30pm, Chicago State University, 9501 South Ki ng Drive, Library Auditorium (4th floor). For more information please cont act Al Stein at 773-995-2586 or Jeff Crisman at 773-995-3907

2.What: The HistoryMakers NEH Summer Institute on African American Politica l History When: Sunday, July 4th - Saturday, July 31st, 2010 Where: Univers ity of Illinois at Chicago; Chicago, IL For more information: Visit their w ebsite at: http://www.thehistorymakers.com/edday/neh_2010_summer_introducti on.asp For any questions or comments, please contact: Tim Turner, The Histo ryMakers, 1900 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60616, P: (312) 674-1900,
 F: (312) 674-1915, tt@thehistorymakers.com<mailto:tt@thehistorymakers.com

3. 2010 WI Oral History (Milwaukee, March 28 & 29) webpage is up! Goto htt p://www.slis.wisc.edu/continueed/oralhist/ to see the program and the downl oad the registration form. Or, contact Troy Reeves at oad the registration form. Or, contact Troy Reeves at treeves@library.wisc. edu<mailto:treeves@library.wisc.edu>.