RE: Scanning Documents

Monette Bebow-Reinhard (grimm1@bayland.net)
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:09:54 -0500

From: "Monette Bebow-Reinhard" <grimm1@bayland.net>
Subject: RE: Scanning Documents
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:09:54 -0500

When I research, I like taking my digital camera to make copying a document easy. Some don't charge - others charge 25 cents per photograph. Using it as research means it will be properly documented. But if it's a photograph, that's a different story. Then the researcher often has to get specific use rights for that photograph, and that charge varies.

You will need to decide if you own the rights to your material, how to get researchers to properly footnote where they accessed the material, and how much you'll charge them to reprint any photos. I've paid up to $200 for one very rare photo - and others are in the public domain, so you really can't charge for them. I have some photos at the Oconto museum that I don't allow photos taken of at all, because they're too sensitive.

Charging them to scan just textual material? That could be at the 25 cents per page cost, which, as I indicated, some places do charge if you use your own equipment rather than having them print copies for you. But like I said, not everyone charges.

Monette

Oconto Archaic Copper Museum

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Bill Schuette Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:55 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Scanning Documents

How do others handle a situation like this:

We have researchers who bring their own laptops and flatbed scanners along when doing research at our museum.

If they find documents in our files relating to their research, they scan them into their computers. At this time we

are not charging anything as this practice is relatively new. How do other museums accommodate this situation?

Do you charge per page? Or do you charge a flat fee?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Schuette

Sauk County Historical Society

Baraboo, WI