Re: Excellent Dialogue!!!

Don Jensen (dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com)
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:36:51 -0500

From: "Don Jensen" <dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Excellent Dialogue!!!
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:36:51 -0500

Sara Steele makes a very good point that all institutions need to ponder.

Historical archives have two missions: to preserve and to educate.

When I first began on the board of our historical society it had an all volunteer part-time staff, a small group of aging men and women who had given decades fo loyal, dedicated service at a time when most of the community ignored their efforts. They saw their mission as collecting history and preserving it. They watched over the collections and archives with eagle eyes. It was almost impossible for an "outsider" (anyone other than their small group) to use the material.
 THeir concern was the this material that they had preserved would be damaged or stolen if others had access to it.

Of course, they had a point. They were the guardians of these treasures. But, as our institution evolved and we acquired museum-trained professional staff, the board came to understand that it was possible to preserve and also to share the information to help educate the community about its history. There are ways to utilize while safeguarding. Sensible rules and procedures can be established.

This discussion, indeed, has suggested that society boards do need to discuss the subject and work out equitable plans that balance the preservation and utilization issues.

don