RE: Leases of Historic Properties

Betty Havlik (bettyhavlik@hotmail.com)
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:42:20 -0500

From: Betty Havlik <bettyhavlik@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Leases of Historic Properties
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:42:20 -0500

Hi Craig-

Our Hillsboro Area Historical Society has an arrangement with the City of H illsboro for the operation of our 4 buildings. When some folks donated a l og cabin to the City in the 1950s, the City agreed but wanted a society t o operate and maintain it. This we have done all these many years, but t here is no written formal agreement. Later the Society built a museum, a
 schoolhouse replica and a machine shed. We raised funds for construction
, but then we donated the building to the City. They cover the liability
 insurance on the city policy and mow the grass since the buildings are in the City park.
 The City also makes a cash donation to the Society each year to help pay f or roof and log chinking costs and other upkeep costs.

It works well for us, but I am sure that now a municipality would want a formal written document to lay out the responsibilities of each party.

Hope all works out well for you.

Betty Havlik, President, Hillsboro Area Historical Society

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:56:44 -0500 From: craiglahm@gmail.com To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Leases of Historic Properties

Recently, there has been discussion about transferring ownership of a loc al historic site to our city. The city is interested in owning the site IF
 our historical society is interested in advising, operating, managing
, overseeing the site. I have been told it is common in Wisconsin for mu nicipalities to own a site and lease it to a local historical society for i ts operation.

We'd like to directly receive copies of lease agreements from historical so cieties that operate under this arrangement. We'd also welcome your sugges tions, cautions, problems, and benefits of leasing an historic site f rom a municipality.

Craig Lahm Kaukauna Area Historical Society craiglahm@gmail.com www.kaukaunahistory.org
_________________________________________________________________ The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hot mail. http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=P ID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4