Leasing a historic building

nokelley@hshistoricalsociety.org
Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:09:56 -0400

From: nokelley@hshistoricalsociety.org
Subject: Leasing a historic building
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:09:56 -0400

I saw the email about Onalaska's issues for working with a municipality and
 I was going to write today about the same thing. I did see the emails that
 were on the listserve a couple of weeks ago on this topic and fo und them to be very helpful.
  Our historical society is going to begin talking to the Village of Suamico about leasing a farmhouse and barn along with some small buildings to resto re. These buildings are on the corner of the property the village just purc hased and where all their village offices are going to be. The village want s us to take on this project. If we don't, the buildings wil l be destroyed. Our board will be having our first meeting to begin th e discussion. Besides our board we have two advisory people who will be the re, an architect and realtor. We have to discuss the condition of the build ings and all the ramifications. One thing that I am really interested in is
 what financial assistance, etc. we should ask of the village besides the f act that they will be leasing the property and buildings to us for a nomina l fee. We are a small historical society. Finding the money to restore the buildings is one thing but then the ongoing upkeep is also huge. I would ap preciate any comments you might have on this subject.
  Thanks, Nancy O'Kelley President Howard-Suamico Historical Society