RE: Wisconsin Sales Tax

Bernstein, Rick A - WHS (Rick.Bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org)
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:11:45 -0500

From: "Bernstein, Rick A - WHS" <Rick.Bernstein@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:11:45 -0500
Subject: RE: Wisconsin Sales Tax

Pat - I'm forwarding this email to John Lemke. John manages our gift shop a t the museum and might be better able to answer this than I. Rick
________________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [ [localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Freedom Area Historical Society [fahs@newbc.rr.co m] Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:59 PM To: Local History List; patk@new.rr.com Subject: Wisconsin Sales Tax

Recently, the Freedom Town Board donated more than 50 “Town of Freedom 18 52 – 2002” history books to our historical society as a means to raise
 money. We want to advertise them as follows: “Freedom History books a re available for a $25 donation”.
(I believe churches ‘sell’ books for a stated donation amount.) Will w e need to pay sales tax to the state if we ask for a specific donation amou nt?

Currently, we do not have a gift shop, nor do we sell any items (other than
 as part of a fundraiser). The history book was published in 2005, so most
 people interested in owning the book have already purchased it. Therefore
, we don’t expect to sell more than one or two books a month, if that! I
 checked the Wisconsin Sales & Use Tax guidelines for non-profits, but foun d nothing that addressed our question.

We’re hoping some of you have had experience with this.

Thank you

Pat Konkle President Freedom Area Historical Society Outagamie County