Re: Self Publishing

Don Jensen (dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com)
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:29:45 -0600

From: "Don Jensen" <dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Self Publishing
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:29:45 -0600

There are any number of ways for an organization to go when it decides to publish a book on local history. Some perfectly good suggestions have appeared here already.

But it is clear to me that there is a good bit of confusion too. First the term self-publishing has been used rather loosely and that obscures the basic facts of what is involved. I’ve done books in several different ways – from actually getting a regular publisher to accept my manuscript (the publishing house taking all the risks, doing all the production, creating a book from my manuscript, selling it and paying me royalties) to doing it completely on my own, from original research and writing to selling the finished books.

Usually a local society’s history is not something a regular publisher will accept. He needs to sell, at a minimum, at least several thousands books to warrant his risk. Selling several thousand copies is not too likely for a local history book, unless you are planning to take 10 years to recoup your costs, which doesn’t work for a regular publishing house.

So that gets us to self publishing. But let’s break that down to the three basic components: Manuscript, Book Production and Printing/Binding. There is a fourth, Selling, which I will mostly ignore here, since most organizations have an idea of how they will sell their books.

MANUSCRIPT: Pretty straightforward. Everyone understands this. Decide you want to create a book. Decide how to tell your story (one chapterless short book, told chronologically, or a longer book broken into topic chapters, or however you choose to arrange your story.) Then do your research, gather your illustrations, write the text according to your plan. Again, I think everyone more or less understands this process.

PRINTING/BINDING: Let me go to the last step in the process, for again, this is mostly understood already. It involves taking electronic images of each page, imprinting them on paper, then collecting and fastening the the pages together, maybe saddle stitch stapling for booklets or “perfect” binding or coil binding or whatever. Any local printing house or even Kinkos and Staples can do this, in small quantities or large, at a fairly reasonable cost.

Unfortunately, too many people don’t realize the middle step is the key, both to saving costs and having a good looking, saleable book. When you hire a self-publishing house, this is what they do and what costs the most.

BOOK PRODUCTION: This, basically, is taking a raw manuscript and getting it ready to go on the press. It involves designing the book that will result. It covers everything: choosing a readable, pleasant type face and size, line length and spacing between lines,. .figuring out chapter titles or section “breaks,” the relationship between text and head sizes. . . how the text will be laid out on each page, how much copy will be on each page and how the text will break on each page so as to avoid “widows” (ends of sentences, only two or three words a the beginning of the next page). . .how many pages there will be
(it’s important), how and where to handle illustrations (in a cluster in the middle of the book, or after or before or within each chapter, or where they fit best within the texts, or imbedded in smaller size within the text, or combinations of these. It would involve designing and creating covers, title pages, forewords, tables of contents and an index (an index is essential in a history book). And that’s only a partial list.

Ignoring these steps will result in an amateurish book that readers will be hesitant to buy. A good book has both good content and an attractive and interesting presentation. A good book can easily sell for $19.95 or $24.95. A bad looking book may be hard to sell at $4.95!

Anyone who has done computer desktop publishing will recognize most of the Book Production steps. With some luck, you may well have a local volunteer who has done a fair amount of desktop publishing before and who can take on this rather laborious but critical task of Book Production, taking the process to the final press-ready step. If you don’t, then you probably should spend the money and have one of the professional self-publishing companies do the BOOK PRODUCTION for you.

But at least be aware that the book production step is there and, probably, is at least as important as actually writing the text and gathering the illustrations!

don jensen Kenosha History Center, BoD

From: sara m steele Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 1:22 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Self Publishing

CGAHS does short specific topic publications of 50 to 60 pages loaded with photos. We use CoakleyTech at Madison and have had a very good experience. We are able to send this short a manuscript PDF as an email attachment.

sara