RE: Museum Usage

Seymour, Janet I (DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu)
Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:30:51 +0000

From: "Seymour, Janet I" <DYKEMAJI@uwec.edu>
Subject: RE: Museum Usage
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:30:51 +0000

Bill,

It sounds like this might be a good time to develop some “best practices” guidelines or a policy regarding rentals.

Creating a consistent, equitable policy is a wise choice. For example, if you rented the space to one political party, but not another, that would obviously create a problem. Donating space to a political party would also be an issue in terms of that being considered a political contribution.

(Some museums do make an exception to the consistent rental/fee policy and charge a lesser rate for non-profit community groups.)

Your board will have to consider the possible public relations impact and make a decision on whether or not to allow rentals to political groups in general. Again, consistency is the main concern.

Best, Janet Seymour

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Bill Schuette Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 6:34 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Museum Usage

Does anyone have experience with allowing outside groups to rent the usage of your museums for political meetings, weddings or receptions, Christmas parties, etc.? We have been asked if we’d rent out the museum for an evening, by a political party, for a purported Christmas Party. We allowed it last year, but many of our board members now have reservations about continuing the practice. How do other museums handle this kind of request? Bill Sauk County Historical Society