Re: Question re Book Printing

nokelley@hshistoricalsociety.org
Tue, 08 Nov 2011 10:58:02 -0600

From: nokelley@hshistoricalsociety.org
Subject: Re: Question re Book Printing
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 10:58:02 -0600

It costs a lot more for hard cover books and in order to get a decent rate you have to order a large number of books and then you might be sitting with lots of unsold books. You want to add something on to the cost in order to make a profit and yet you don’t want it to be so expensive that people would hesitate purchasing it.

  We work with a local printer who has our books scanned into his computer and we can order as many as we want at one time. We have reordered our titles many times and it only takes a short time to get them. Sometimes we only get 20 copies at a time. We have four titles that we have printed and they are soft cover with comb binding.

  One of our members did publish a book about Suamico and had it published in a hard cover. He had to order 1000 copies in order to get a good rate.

  Of course there is a big difference between hard cover and soft cover books so you have to determine what type you want.

  Anyway…this is what works for us. We don’t have to put ou t huge amounts of money for publishing and we are never sitting with hundreds of books for sale.

  Nancy O'Kelley
  President
  Howawrd-Suamico HIstorial society