RE: Local History Time line Publication

Kathryn Otto (kathryn.otto@uwrf.edu)
Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:33:54 +0000

From: Kathryn Otto <kathryn.otto@uwrf.edu>
Subject: RE: Local History Time line Publication
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:33:54 +0000

Hi Sara,

Another way of doing a timeline - that you can also use to highlight your c ollections - is to use free online timeline software, such as Dipity (http:
//www.dipity.com/). From any entry you can add links to your collections, p lus photos and videos from you collections. You can also embed the timeline
 on your website.

I ran across Dipity when I was working at the Minnesota Historical Society and oversaw putting a Minnesota history timeline online on Dipity (http://w ww.dipity.com/MnHSreference/Minnesota_History/), and also embedded on the M nHS website (http://www.mnhs.org/library/ - if you don't see it on your scr een, scroll down). Go back in time a bit to find entries with links to col lections, like Aug. 1, 2007 - I-35 Bridge Collapses, or Jan. 4, 1999 - Jess e Ventura Becomes Governor, or Mar. 1, 1994 - Soul Asylum Wins Grammy (whic h includes a link to museum collection items). Of course, I find the older
, more historical entries more interesting, but with the more recent ones y ou can see the links to audio and video collection items.

Dipity can also be used to do a timeline to help you keep track of a large archival collection that you are processing. If you have multiple family me mbers, for example, and are having trouble knowing who is doing what and wh en, you can use Dipity to help you track that kind of information as you ru n across it. Dipity can also be used for a specific event, like your area' s participation in the Civil War.

One warning, though: Dipity really tries to "help" you by adding modern th ings to your timeline that it finds on the Internet (sometimes wildly inapp ropriate to what you're trying to do). You can contact them and tell them t o stop that!

For more help on learning about online timelines, you can read this blog po sting: http://23thingsforarchivists.wordpress.com/beginning-things-1-23/thi ng-19/. It includes links to other online timeline softwares and to "Resou rces" you can read/look at.

Kathryn Otto University Archives & Area Research Center University of Wisconsin-River Falls

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of sara m steele Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:21 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Local History Time line Publication

Hi

Has your History Society published a local history time line? If so, what years are covered? What do the items look like and what content areas are included (businesses, farming, military, schools, churches, etc.? Was it organized chronologically by years or was it organized by subject matter? How did you expect it to be used?

This question came to mind as I was responding to the question about the la st stages of producing a book. I have stayed clear of doing a general, comp rehensive book called "The History of Cottage Grove" because I like detail and it is impossible, even with as small an area and population as our tow nship and village, to be both comprehensive and detailed. For example, in a comprehensive book raising tobacco would only get one sentence--"Tobacco
 was a main cash crop from about 1900 until about 1980. In our specific to pic report we told the story with photos of how tobacco was raised.

Then I remembered. A few years ago I had started a general history using a
 time lines format with only a little detail. (See the two examples below.)
  The format permitted some detail, but still could have become very long c overing covering more than 200 years (1824 until 2000). Although it would be an excellent reference, it would be difficult to find what you were looking for unless you knew approximately when something had occurred. So I set it aside.

Examples: The 1830s items summarized info we had collected from a variety o f sources. The 1910 items were taken from 1910 news columns.

                                                           1830s
 1824 Ho-chunk (Winnebegos) transfer land which includes C.G. by means
 of treaty thus preparing the way for the government to sell land.
 1832 Illinois and Wisconsin militia chase Chief Black Hawk and 1,000 of his followers across Cottage Grove township on way from Hustiford to Wis consin Heights. Although a small war with Indians who were not native to Wi sconsin, the victory made potential settlers feel safer. Black Hawk was n ot a Wisconsin Indian. His band had been moved off its lands in Illinois and he was trying to regain them.
 1834 The North West territory survey establishes township and sectio n boundaries and sets the means of describing land when sold. Since then C ottage Grove has been known as Town 7, 7 North. Range 11 East (T. 7- 7 N-R
.11 E)
.1838 The federal road from Madison and Milwaukee is completed about where BB is today. It was meant to link to the Ft. Howard (Green Bay) and Ft. Crawford (Prairie du Chien) military road. The two forts had been es tablished in 1816 in the two areas where the fur traders came to ship their
 furs by water to France. .
 1838 Work begins on first capitol building at Madison. The lakes are
 still known by numbers-First, Second, etc.--rather than names.
 1838 First Cottage Grove land was purchased by Philip Kearney, east ern army officer and land speculator who did not live on the land. He r eached the rank of General and died in the Civil War. He and his father bo ught up hundreds of acres with the help of a Beloit Lawyer.

                     - - - - -

1910 The hotel barn burned killing two horses. Irvin Witte is so anxiou s to tell people that there are horses in the barn that he puts his head th rough the window without opening it.
 1911 Cottage Grove State Bank began operation south of the tracks on Ma in Street. 1912 Witte and Steinhauer became Witte, Korfmaker and Farr. They sold motorcycles. 1912 Sam Kennedy was killed when the morning train spooks his team as he
 is returning from taking his niece to teach at Vilas. 1913 Witt e, Korfmacher and Far acquire its first car, a second hand Model T Ford wit h carbon headlights. It was put on jacks every night to save its headlight s.
 Sara Steele Cottage Grove Text Archivist