Re: photo enhancer

Russ Hanson (russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net)
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:56:40 -0500

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:56:40 -0500
From: Russ Hanson <russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net>
Subject: Re: photo enhancer

--
Russ Hanson riverroadrambler@gmail.com

Basic enhancing of photos is very easy nowadays. You need to scan the photo into your computer at reasonably high resolution (meaning 600 dots per inch or more if it is a good detailed photo) and then use one of the many programs to enhance them--often quite automatic. A very simple free one is Picasa -- you download it to your computer and can play with the image contrast, brightness etc. If the photo is flaked, torn, or otherwise in bad physical condition, it becomes much more effort to repair it. Faded photos are wonderfully easy to bring back to life if the detail is still visible. Can you scan them at your location? If so, then you can send the digital photos to someone by email and let them do it. You might enlist a student in HS to help. Most kids nowadays are amazingly good at photo manipulation. You can even do this kind of thing at the local kiosk at your local store that prints computer photos. Ask the clerk to help you figure out what the machine their can do.

Russ Hanson riverroadrambler@gmail.com Polk County WI -- Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society and several more.