RE: Need Help Identifying Uniforms

Cross, Christine (christinec@newlondonwi.org)
Tue, 5 Jun 2012 15:41:41 -0500

From: "Cross, Christine" <christinec@newlondonwi.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 15:41:41 -0500
Subject: RE: Need Help Identifying Uniforms

The 1st uniform is a US Army uniform, red trim for artillery. The red artil lery shell indicates that he was a Gunner, 2nd Class. I don't have my good reference book here at work, but it dates to the 1880s, so I will have to l ook it up when I get home. The 2nd uniform is also artillery, but dates lat er to after the turn of the century. She should check inside the pockets fo r a label and possibly a name. The Wisconsin National Guard followed the un iform regulation of the US Army, so it may be possible he was a member of B attery A, 1st Light Battery, which formed in Milwaukee in 1884. Here's a br ief history of the 126th Field Artillery from Wikipedia:

Constituted in the National Guard of Wisconsin as the 1st Cavalry and parti ally organized by redesignation of Light Horse Squadron of Milwaukee as Tro op A (constituted 25 March 1880 as Light Horse Squadron and organized 26 Ap ril 1880 at Milwaukee). Troop B organized 24 June 1916 at Milwaukee; remain der of regiment organized April-July 1917 at locations as follows-

 * Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, Supply Troop, and Troops C. and D
. at Milwaukee.
 * Troop E. at Kenosha
 * Troop F. at Lake Geneva
 * Troop G. at Grand Rapids
 * Troop H. at Merrill
 * Troop I. at Stevens Point
 * Troop K. at Lady Smith
 * Troop L. at Eau Claire
 * Troop M. at Sheboygan

Mustered into Federal service 31 July 1917; Drafted in 5 August 1917. Reorg anized and redesignated 120th Field Artillery and assigned to the 32nd Infa ntry Division (United States)<blocked::http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32nd_In fantry_Division_(United_States)>28 September 1917. Demobilized 16 May 1919 at Camp Grant<blocked::http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Grant>, Il.
 _____________________
 Scott Cross Archivist Oshkosh Public Museum 1331 Algoma Boulevard Oshkosh WI 54901
(920) 236-5773 www.oshkoshmuseum.org<blocked::http://www.oshkoshmuseum.org/>

[cid:[cid:328064120@05062012-2F25]

Christine Cross Director New London Public Museum 406 South Pearl St. New London, WI 54961 920-982-8520 www.newlondonwi.org/museum.htm christinec@newlondonwi.org<mailto:christinec@newlondonwi.org>

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto:localhistory-request@ listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Sara Nuernberger Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2012 12:49 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Need Help Identifying Uniforms

The attached pictures are of two uniforms that were donated to the Taylor C ounty Historical Society. The person who donated them did not have any inf ormation about them because they had found them in the attic of a house the y purchased some years ago.

Can anyone on the list give us any information about the uniforms?

Thank you. Sara Nuernberger Board Member Taylor County Historical Society Medford, Wisconsin

P1010961.JPG P1010976.JPG P1010977.JPG P1010975.JPG P1010974.JPG P1010964.JPG P1010967.JPG P1010968.JPG P1010966.JPG

These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google. Try it out here: http://picasa.google.com/

image001.jpg