Re: Old books

Rebecca DuBey (curator@saukcountyhistory.org)
Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:29:41 +0000

From: "Rebecca DuBey" <curator@saukcountyhistory.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:29:41 +0000
Subject: Re: Old books

Hello Nancy, I would suggest cleaning insect remnants, loose dirt, and mitigating any mold; otherwise, I'd leave them alone. I would use a soft brush to lightl y brush the dirt and insects from the books, and treat for mold. As for r emoving fingerprints and dirt acquired through use, I would tend to leave
 that intact as a part of the artifact.

To treat for mold, I would first take the books out into the sun and let the sun work on the mold. If that isn't enough, then I would seek other r emedies. Hope this is helpful, Rebecca DuBey Curator, Sauk County Historical Society
-----Original Message----- From: nokelley@hshistoricalsociety.org [mailto: [mailto:nokelley@hshistoricalsocie ty.org] Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 02:57 PM To: 'Listserve' Subject: Old books

Our historical society has a number of old books dating back into the 180 0's. The earliest being about 1870. We are keeping them in case we can us e them for a display or projects.There are quite a variety including scho ol books, literature, etc. My question to the listserve is should we try to clean up the covers of these old books? Most are really dirty. If so.. what do we use? Nancy O'Kelley President Howard-Suamico Historical Societ y