The Christmas Tree Ship

David & Joan Totten (djtotten@earthlink.net)
Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:27:47 -0500

From: "David & Joan Totten" <djtotten@earthlink.net>
Subject: The Christmas Tree Ship
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:27:47 -0500

The public is cordially invited to New Berlin Historical Society's annual meeting program:

Where: New Berlin Public Library 15105 Library Lane, New Berlin, WI 53151

What: The Christmas Tree Ship by author Rochelle Pennington

When: 7 pm, November 13th, 2012

Contact: 262-643-8855 or newberlinhistoricalsociety.org

No admission charge

The true account of the Christmas Tree Ship, considered "the most loved story of the Great Lakes" over the past century, will be presented at the annual meeting of the New Berlin Historical Society, Tuesday, November 13th, at the New Berlin Public Library. The meeting begins at 6:30 pm, and the program at 7:00 pm. The program is free and open to the public.

The presentation by Rochelle Pennington includes original photographs and focuses on little-known facts-clues washed ashore over the decades following the ship's mysterious disappearance, ghost ship sightings, and omens believed to have fixed the fate of the vessel before it set sail on Nov. 22, 1912. Artifacts raised from the sunken ship will be on display, along with underwater photos of the ship in its current state at the bottom of Lake.

This story has inspired paintings, poems, six different Christmas Tree Ship songs, television programs, a musical titled "The Christmas Schooner," and a
"new" Christmas Tree Ship sailed by the Great Lakes Coast Guard each holiday as a living memorial.

"It is a story which exemplifies the best of humanity," said Pennington, author of two books on the subject. "At its heart we find courage, generosity, heroism, and the importance of family. The moment I first heard about the famed vessel, I understood why it had endeared itself to so many people and was still being shared a hundred years later."

David Totten, President

New Berlin Historical Society

www.newberlinhistoricalsociety.org

262-643-8855