RE: Displaying newspaper obituaries

Jarrod Roll (mclhr@centurytel.net)
Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:17:13 -0500

From: "Jarrod Roll" <mclhr@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Displaying newspaper obituaries
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:17:13 -0500

Hi Russ.

The Monroe County Local History Room has done a lot with making newspaper articles available on the web. We do not post scanned images of obits (having 300,000 newspaper items indexed, that would be a lot of scanning), but, have indexed the newspapers themselves using a spreadsheet (Excel). That gets around the whole copyright issue. Feel free to call me to learn more.

Jarrod Roll Director-County Historian Monroe County Local History Room & Museum 200 West Main St. Sparta, WI 54656
(608) 269-8680 www.MonroeCountyHistory.org

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Russ Hanson Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:52 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Displaying newspaper obituaries

We have a project of photographing obituaries in the local newspaper. We are not sure about making them available on the internet--both technical aspects as well as copyright and so on. You can see a
"snippet" of them at http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wipolk/1960LuckEnterprise/1960%20Luck%20Ent erprise%20LR/
(this is not linked to by any of our web pages). Any advice would be welcome. Note: our website is a free one through rootsweb.com

Russ Hanson, Polk County Wisconsin Genealogical Society http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wipolk/ Luck Area Historical Society http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wilahs/ Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wiselhs/

--
Russ Hanson riverroadrambler@gmail.com