Re: Interested in working with an intern

Rebecca DuBey (curator@saukcountyhistory.org)
Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:12:29 +0000

From: "Rebecca DuBey" <curator@saukcountyhistory.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:12:29 +0000
Subject: Re: Interested in working with an intern

Is this a trained intern, or more of a volunteer who works more house tha n most?Do you follow written guidelines for Accessioning, Cataloging, Pho tographing and Marking?Do you have a specific duty or role in mind for th is intern?If this is an intern who has either graduated from College with
 training in Museum Collection management, I would certainly pay them. If
 this is a graduate student in an accredited Museum program, I would pay them more.If you don't have written guidelines, I would write them first if they are to be involved with collection management aspectsIf you have a specific project, make sure of your goals, assign someone very familiar
 with the process to train them and oversee them, and make certain you ha ve the supplies ready, and a work area for them.Internship implies 1) tra ining, 2) leadership, 3) delegation of responsibilityIf possible, train t hem and let them work in more than one area of the museum just to keep it
 interestingDemonstrate your appreciation that they are able to help you out in areas where you need themgive them an experience they will remembe r for the rest of their lives; allow special things to happen, for them t o investigate areas of your collection that speak to their interests, for
 them to follow their interests even if they take a few hours for library
, courthouse or other museums that may have things that interest themtake
 the time to find a good fit; enthusiasm is contagious and envigerating f or both you and the intern Rebecca DuBey Curator, Sauk County Historical Society
-----Original Message----- From: Marti Matyska [mailto:mamatyska@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 04:27 PM To: 'Local history list serve' Subject: Interested in working with an intern

The Gillett Area Historical Society is probably having an intern, and we are wondering: What would make a good experience? Does any one give remuneration? Any wa ys to avoid pitfalls?

--
Marti Matyska
5055 County Hwy. V