Ho-Chunk Clans Workshop Registration NOW OPEN!

Destinee Udelhoven (destineekae@hotmail.com)
Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:02:57 -0500

From: Destinee Udelhoven <destineekae@hotmail.com>
Subject: Ho-Chunk Clans Workshop Registration NOW OPEN!
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:02:57 -0500

Historic Indian Agency House to Host
​Ho-Chunk Clans Workshop for Kids

​The Historic Indian Agency House will host another installment of their popular “Hands-On History” youth clinics, with two opportunities to join on the fun. One workshop session will be offered on Friday, August 01 and another on Saturday, August 02, both from 9am to 11am.

This educational youth program will concentrate on the traditional Ho-Chunk clan system. Through interactive tours, discussion and crafts, children aged eight to twelve will learn about the clans as a source of personal and tribal identity, and their role as a centuries-old method of labor distribution. Participants in the workshop will be assigned membership in a clan, decorate a leather medallion necklace featuring their clan’s symbol, and then address community scenarios using their new knowledge of individual clan responsibilities. Each session will end with a group musical activity summarizing the day’s teachings.

In addition, a copy of Patty Loew’s Native People of Wisconsin: New Badger History Series will be given away by raffle to one lucky participant in each of the two workshop installments.

Educators at the Historic Indian Agency House who designed this workshop consulted with the Ho-Chunk Nation Cultural Resources Division to ensure accuracy of information and cultural sensitivity of crafts and activities.

The 1832 Historic Indian Agency House, which sits on historic Ho-Chunk lands, has a long Native history, making it a particularly appropriate setting to share the arts and traditions of our country’s earliest inhabitants.

To accommodate the expected high demand for this workshop, two sessions are being offered as mentioned above, with a limit of twelve participants per session. The workshop is recommended for children ages eight to twelve, although children outside this age range will be given consideration on a case-by-case basis. There is a $10 reservation fee per child that must be pre-paid by July 28th​—but is FULLY refundable upon class completion due to grant funding. (This opportunity is possible through the generosity of The Great Circle Foundation, ​directly in line with their mission to make innovative educational programming available to all.)

Girl or Boy Scout troops or individuals who participate in this workshop can earn and take home a “Native American Culture” fun patch for an additional, non-refundable fee of $3 per Scout.

The reservation and payment ​deadline for both classes is Monday, July 28. To register your child or for more information, email historicindianagencyhouse@gmail.com or call 608-742-6362. The Historic Indian Agency House is owned and operated by the National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Wisconsin. The site is open to the public May 15 to October 15 annually, and hosts a wide variety of adult and children’s programming throughout the year. Visit www.agencyhouse.org for a full listing of events.

Destinee K. Udelhoven Executive Director

Historic Indian Agency House @ Fort Winnebago historicindianagencyhouse@gmail.com

www.agencyhouse.org
(608) 742 - 6362

" I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing." ~Socrates