Agency House Speaker to Discuss La Farge Oral Histories

Destinee Udelhoven (destineekae@hotmail.com)
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 16:35:08 -0500

From: Destinee Udelhoven <destineekae@hotmail.com>
Subject: Agency House Speaker to Discuss La Farge Oral Histories
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 16:35:08 -0500

Second Speaker of Series Tackles Controversial Federal Project
& Its Effect on Wisconsin Families The second installment of Portage's Historic Indian Agency

House 2014 Summer Speaker Series will take place Tuesday, July 29 at

6:30pm. At this time, historian, educator and author Brad Steinmetz wil l

 discuss the decades-spanning and controversial La Farge Dam and Lake

Project—that eventually resulted in the Kickapoo Valley Reserve—and the
 related efforts to gather the oral histories of those land owners affected
 by this federal endeavor.

 Mr. Steinmetz is a native of La Farge and has taught at the Kickapoo

Valley Reserve as a history resource instructor since its inception in

the mid-1990s. The Reserve is comprised of nearly 9,000 acres of land

purchased by the U.S. government in the early 1970s for the Dam &

Lake Project. After the near completion of the dam and purchase of the

property for the lake and surrounding recreational areas, the project

was stopped in 1975 for political, financial and environmental reasons.

 As a teacher at La Farge High School, Mr. Steinmetz worked with

students and local volunteers to capture these oral histories, many of

which were later chronicled in the 2004 book, The People Remember.

Then, in 2012, Steinmetz published his own book, That Dam History: Th e

Story of the La Farge Dam Project, an ambitious work covering nearly

seventy-five years of historical ground.

 On July 29th, Mr.

Steinmetz will provide an overview of the dam project at La Farge. He

will then delve into a detailed discussion of the related oral history

project, from its initial organization, the invaluable resources that

resulted, and the related “products” and public presentations. In

addition, excerpts of these interviews will be shared to bring the

subject matter home for the audience. Finally, Brad will cover the

evolution of his own book, and the public’s reaction to it.

Copies of The People Remember and That Dam History will be available for

 sale the night of the event, and a book signing will take place

immediately following Mr. Steinmetz’s presentation.

 The museum

and visitor’s center exhibits, always free to the public, will be ope n

5pm until the lecture begins at 6:30pm. A guided tour of the 1832

Winnebago Indian Agency will be available at 5pm. (Minimal fee applies;

free for Supporters members). Light refreshments will be provided for

lecture guests.

 This is the fifth annual Summer Speaker Series

hosted by the Historic Indian Agency House, with one lecture a month

from June to September held on the final Tuesday at 6:30pm. The 2014

series, entitled “Uncovering Wisconsin’s Past: Non-Traditional Resear ch

Methods and the Shaping of Our History,” will explore the remarkable

variety of investigation and study that has molded our understanding of

the state we call home.

 In addition, this theme will allow us

to highlight the many types of information that HIAH is able to draw

from in interpreting the multifaceted cultural context of our site and

the portage. From archaeological and other cultural features located on

this property (including at least a few suspected burial sites) to

Ho-Chunk oral histories about the immediate area, there is a wealth of

knowledge available to the discerning researcher that very much exceeds

the limitations of the written word.

 For the fifth year in a

row, this speaker series is free to the public and made largely possible

 by generous grants from the The Great Circle Foundation Inc. of East

Northport and the City of Portage Tourism Promotion Committee.

The Historic Indian Agency House hosts a variety of children’s and adult

 programming throughout the year, including book-your-own Scout

workshops! Visit www.agencyhouse.org for a full listing of events, or cal l 608-742-6362 with any questions.

___

Destinee K. Udelhoven Executive Director Historic Indian Agency House at Fort Winnebago historicindianagencyhouse@gmail.com www.agencyhouse.org
(608) 742 - 6362
.
   " I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing. "
             ~Socrates