501 c 3 application filled in online July 1, approved July 27

Russ Hanson (russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net)
Fri, 28 Jul 2017 19:42:35 -0500

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 19:42:35 -0500
From: Russ Hanson <russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net>
Subject: 501 c 3 application  filled in online July 1, approved July 27

The Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society was organized in 2002 as a sub-chapter of the Polk County WI historical Society. We lost that status in 2012 when sub-chapters were no longer allowed. We had planned to apply for 501c3 status, but as a small organization decided to not do it then. Recently in response to the possibility of a large gift, we decided to apply. The whole application was done online, two sets of forms, the first to assure the IRS we were under $50,000 per year, not gambling, not political.... As we qualified for that, we then filled out the full application
(about 2 hours online). As we had EIN, appropriate bylaws (adopted from standard ones we got through the county in 2002), etc., it was quite straight forward, and actually not difficult to answer the questions. It required creating a personal account (I did it) so I could use a credit card to pay the $275 fee (for our under $50,000 level) and I submitted it online July 1, 2017. On July 27, 2017, I received via regular mail the letter of approval and a note that says we need to file the short form yearly report for the past few years. In checking with the rules/regs as we are now approved, if we do go over 50,000 per year in the future we just have to file a different yearly form instead of the post card version -- no new application.
   So, easy, all online, fast, and a reasonable experience and cost for us. I am not a lawyer, nor have any special knowledge of organizations or filling out forms. I did not have to attach bylaws nor yearly financial figures, although the yearly figures will be submitted through 3 years of filling out the postcard forms.
   If you are a small organization and have been hesitating about doing this application, I would advice you try it. The new process aimed at small groups is intended to make it easy for us to succeed.

Russ Hanson President Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society NW Wisconsin along the St Croix River of Polk County