Re: Offensive names

historicalsociety@tds.net
Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:27:04 -0600

Subject: Re: Offensive names
From: historicalsociety@tds.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:27:04 -0600

On 2/16/2018 6:11 PM, William Schuette wrote:
> We have old settler's articles and newspaper stories on our Web site
> from the late 1800s and early 1900s, which contain a few derogatory
> names for African Americans and Native American females. How do other
> organizations treat such occurrences? Do we leave them as written with
> the understanding  that the usage was based on the time period,
> perhaps with a caveat at the beginning of the article explaining why
> they were retained? Or do we delete these references and put a bracket
> [  ] with an explanation as to why the words have been excised?
>
> Bill
>
> Sauk County Historical Society

Leave them as they are. That is what they wrote and its a good springboard for discussion. We have a number of racist postcards and items that were collected by the People at the Pleasant Ridge Community nearby.  I cannot help but think that they saved them for their posterity to show the things they rose above.

Dennis Wilson

---