Re: Racist Language

Eagle River Historical Society (eagleriverhistoricalsociety@gmail.com)
Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:22:49 -0600

From: Eagle River Historical Society <eagleriverhistoricalsociety@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:22:49 -0600
Subject: Re: Racist Language

We had the same issue with a history of a black Civil War veteran whose hist ory we showcase.

We decided to add the disclaimer since the reference was historically accura te and we do not want to get into the habit of sanitizing history to accommo date current feelings.

Or as one of our members calls it, ‘the Stalin method’.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 3, 2019, at 2:40 PM, William Schuette <wschuette1@frontier.com> wro
te:

> We are putting articles on our Web site which were written 100 years plus a
go, some of which include language which today, is considered raciest. Do w e eliminate the raciest language or do we include a disclaimer which indica tes that these descriptions were indicative of the time in which they were w ritten? What do other historical societies do?