Re: Pandemic-era Annual Meetings?

John/Sandy Decker (deckercorp@charter.net)
Tue, 04 Aug 2020 23:43:18 +0000

From: "John/Sandy Decker" <deckercorp@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Pandemic-era Annual Meetings?
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 23:43:18 +0000

History friends, My suggestion for a belt-and-suspenders approach to a n October annual meeting of members would be to solicit written proxie s to meet whatever your quorum requirement may be. That route can be t aken so long as your bylaws do not prohibit proxy voting. Proxies s hould be sent to the organization's secretary, and be signed and dated
 by the member. An in-person meeting can be held with reduced attendan ce, and with masks and social distancing, as Bobbie suggested. I am in
 an organization that specifically prohibits proxy or absentee voting,
 so we met in person for our annual meeting, but with appropriate soci al distancing. All went well until we gathered for the after-meeting p hoto, where distancing went out the window. Oh, well. Happily, nobody
 got sick. For the longer term, my suggestion would be to amend your b ylaws to permit voting by ballot, which can be done electronically. Th is is covered in section 181.0708 of the Wisconsin Statutes, which are

readily available on the Wisconsin Legislature web site. Unless an
 organization is given to contention and litigation (I know, some are)
 I would say to put health and practicality first, and carry on. Joh n Decker

        -----------------------------------------From: "Destine e Udelhoven" To: "localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu" Cc: Sent: Tue sday August 4 2020 5:59:58PM Subject: Re: Pandemic-era Annual Meetings
?

   Thanks for sharing your experience, Bobbie!
    DESTINEE
 K. UDELHOVEN

 "And there are never really endings, happy or otherw ise. Things keep going on,
  they overlap and blur, your story is p art of your sister's story is part of many other stories,
  and the re is no telling where any of them may lead."
    ~Erin Morgenstern, T he Night Circus
      .

-------------------------
 FR OM: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu on behalf of Bobbie Erdma nn
 SENT: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:55 PM
 TO: TO: localhistory@listser ve.uwec.edu
 SUBJECT: RE: Pandemic-era Annual Meetings?

         Berlin Historical Society had an all member meeting just before the

all state “mask edit”

         because we had some t ime-sensitive decisions to make also. People used the social distancin g

         and those that wanted to wear masks could. Another option wo uld be to hold the meeting

         outdoors which makes it easier to
 social distance.

         Bobbie

-------------------------

         FROM: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory
-request@listserve.uwec.edu] ON BEHALF OF Destinee Udelhoven
 SENT:
 Tuesday, August 04, 2020 12:47 PM
 TO: Wisconsin History List Serve

 SUBJECT: Pandemic-era Annual Meetings?

         Hi, History Friend s!

         I work at the Mount Horeb Area Historical Society in Moun t Horeb, WI.

         We are currently contemplating our Annual Mee ting, traditionally held in October.

         Because of our budget
 cycle (fiscal year begins Oct 01), postponing the meeting would mean
 operating without an approved budget-something we are hoping to avoid
.

         How do we fulfill this necessity, while safeguarding the h ealth of our membership?

         (Our specific bylaws do not expli citly allow for a virtual meeting, and a vote of the membership is nee ded to change the bylaws.)

         I WAS WONDERING--HOW ARE OTHER NO NPROFITS HANDLING THIS QUANDARY?

         HOW IS YOUR ORGANIZATION
 APPROACHING/HOW DID YOUR ORGANIZATION HANDLE YOUR 2020, PANDEMIC-ERA
 ANNUAL MEETING?

         Thanks in advance for any insights you can
 provide!

         Best Wishes,