Re: Request for return of an item

Rebecca Dubey (curator@saukcountyhistory.org)
Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:50:46 -0500

From: Rebecca Dubey <curator@saukcountyhistory.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:50:46 -0500
Subject: Re: Request for return of an item

Since the donation of objects may involve tax deductions unknown to the museum, it is generally illegal for museums to return objects to the original owners, even if they are deaccessioned. This holds true whether or not a deduction has been made; it is a Rule made and investigated by the IRS, making it a Federal Rule. If a donation is returned, the museum is obligated to file a form with the IRS. For this reason, Museums do not return artifacts to the previous owners. The tax deduction is allowed because museums are seen as a "Charitable Organization" by the IRS. Filing this from with the IRS leaves both the donor and the Museum open to scrutiny under federal IRS rules. The IRS has cause to investigate all the dealings of the museum and its donors (of both artifacts and monetary donations!) If this person requests the return of one seemingly unimportant object, they may repeat the request with an object that is more important to the collection, which puts your BOD at risk for not fulfilling their duties and they can be sued.

Malaro's "Legal Primer on Managing Museum Collections" discusses the return of objects quite thoroughly because it is so complicated and museums face so many problems with this issue. Can you get a hold of the book? It is considered the most authoritative book on Museum Law. Every Museum should have a copy.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me, I love to help! Rebecca DuBey M. A., Museum Science

--
Rebecca DuBey, Museum Curator
Sauk County Historical Society