RE: Looking for Insurer for Historic Building

Askin, Tim (Tim.Askin@milwaukee.gov)
Wed, 23 Sep 2020 14:57:00 +0000

From: "Askin, Tim" <Tim.Askin@milwaukee.gov>
Subject: RE: Looking for Insurer for Historic Building
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 14:57:00 +0000

National Trust Insurance Services is probably the way to go. Historic properties are their specialty. https://www.mdpins.com/national-trust-insurance/

Tim Askin, Senior Planner Historic Preservation Commission City of Milwaukee 414-286-5712 Tim.Askin@Milwaukee.gov<mailto:Tim.Askin@Milwaukee.gov>

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu <localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu> On Behalf Of Mary Zimmerman Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 4:00 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Looking for Insurer for Historic Building

Greetings,

I am the Treasurer for a local historical trust organization in south central WI which is searching for an insurance company which will cover an historic church (original use) building plus a plot of native prairie land about a mile away. We are in the middle of repair work on the building and then will begin converting the basement into an archives/research space so we can move the archives from a private home to the building and then have some limited public access to these materials.

We are struggling to find liability and property insurance at a reasonable cost. One quote we got was for $9500/year - which is not reasonable for us! Other agencies we have contacted have checked with the companies they represent and they come back with the response that no one is interested in providing this coverage. There has been some indication that the reason is not wanting to cover historic properties.

So my question is whether anyone on the listserve would have any suggestions for us for insurance agencies we could contact for a bid for our properties. It seems that there are many historic buildings throughout the state who must have reasonable insurance coverage.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Mary Zimmerman The City of Milwaukee is subject to Wisconsin Statutes related to public records. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of City of Milwaukee e-mail should presume that e-mail is subject to release upon request, and is subject to state records retention requirements. See City of Milwaukee full e-mail disclaimer at www.milwaukee.gov/email_disclaimer