RE: grain sacks made into ????

Bobbie Erdmann (bobbiee@centurytel.net)
Wed, 18 Nov 2020 11:46:28 -0600

From: "Bobbie Erdmann" <bobbiee@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: grain sacks made into ????
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 11:46:28 -0600

Wow! these are beautiful. I know that any "free" materials were used by the frugal housewife to

make linens, children's clothing (including breeches) aprons and quilts.

Bobbie Erdmann

Berlin Area Historical Society.

  _____

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Mary Dibble Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 4:10 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: grain sacks made into ????

Good afternoon

I am attaching a photo of one of three similar items we found in a box in our attic eaves marked "grain sack linen". This one is 38 inches long and about 14 and a half inches wide. All three have different designs but are pretty close in dimensions. They are like really long slender pillow shams.

I'm assuming a frugal housewife washed the grain sacks, cut out the printed company name, and then tatted them into something special. Does anyone see something else here?

And can anyone identify what they would have been used for and what they would have been filled with? Does anyone have a name for them?

Thanks

Mary Dibble

New Glarus Historical Society