Re: heating historic buildings

Joanne Dalton (daltonfarms84@gmail.com)
Thu, 10 Dec 2020 20:12:10 -0600

From: Joanne Dalton <daltonfarms84@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 20:12:10 -0600
Subject: Re: heating historic buildings

In Columbia County, we own an old 3 story hotel building, We keep the main floor minimally heated, setting the thermostat at 50-55 degrees. Some heat escapes to the second floor, though we do keep a door closed at the top of the stairs. We built a block building that is attached on the backside of the hotel building and through another connecting doorway, we have an original One-Room Schoolhouse that was moved in and attached onto the back of that - it's a loooong building!. Visitors can walk through the entire first floor of the Museum front to back all inside. We close off the doors and do not heat the block building or the schoolhouse. We have handicap accessible restrooms in the block building, which we drain for the winter. (We are closed from Nov - May.) The block building is our "Tool Room" - household and small farm equipment and tools, etc. The cold doesn't seem to adversely affect anything in there or in the schoolhouse. We have more trouble with the school in the summer, as we have to keep a dehumidifier running in there because we worry about the books getting musty. Joanne Dalton, Pres, Columbia Co. Historical Society