RE: heating historic buildings

Merrilee Lee (MLee@hoardmuseum.org)
Sat, 12 Dec 2020 14:23:38 -0600

From: "Merrilee Lee" <MLee@hoardmuseum.org>
Subject: RE: heating historic buildings
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 14:23:38 -0600

Hi Jarrod,

We have an 1840s frame house that we heat in the winter. We keep it at roughly 50 degrees to protect the artifacts left in the house and the house itself. Given its small size and low temperature, we budget $300 to heat it and rarely do we exceed that amount in a year.

Good luck!

Merrilee Lee

Director

Hoard Historical Museum

401 Whitewater Ave.

Fort Atkinson, WI 53538

920-563-7769

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Jarrod Roll Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 3:45 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: heating historic buildings

Hello friends.

I have a question for you which I am asking on behalf of another historical organization which owns historic buildings. For those of you who own a standalone, small building (like a one-room school or church), do you heat it in the winter? The historical society who owns a one-room school in our area doesn't want to heat it in the winter because it isn't used and there is a significant heating bill involved. However, I know that even minimally heating an old building helps to preserve it. So, I would appreciate hearing from those of you who own a historic building and close it up for the winter-do you heat it or not?

Thank you,

Jarrod

Jarrod Roll

Director / County Historian

Monroe County Local History Room & Museum

200 West Main St.

Sparta, WI 54656

608-269-8680

www.MonroeCountyHistory.org <http://www.MonroeCountyHistory.org>