Re: Math & History are colliding

AMY D WYATT (amy.wyatt@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 15 Feb 2021 15:32:05 +0000

From: AMY D WYATT <amy.wyatt@wisconsinhistory.org>
Subject: Re: Math & History are colliding
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 15:32:05 +0000

The Archives division at the Wisconsin Historical Society has put together a nice resource that answers a lot of these questions about digital file storage and preservation. (I'm in the State Historic Preservation Office and we've been using this as our guide to preserving our digital files.)

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS15424

Specifically, this article about managing digital files: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS15452

Amy Wyatt Digital Historic Preservation Coordinator State Historic Preservation Office

Wisconsin Historical Society 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706 608-264-6506 amy.wyatt@wisconsinhistory.org

Wisconsin Historical Society Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846<http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/?utm_source=Email%20Signatures&amp;amp%3Butm_medium=email&amp;amp%3Butm_campaign=si>
________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu <localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu> on behalf of dchs@douglashistory.org <dchs@douglashistory.org> Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 9:16 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Subject: Re: Math & History are colliding

Many reasons not to just keep on the thumb drive. My main career for the last 30+ years has been in IT. Thumb drives fail with few options to recover the data. The average cost for professional recovery is around $400-$500.

100,000 KB is 0.1 GB so yes your google account should be able to handle this much data. It is only 100MB.

That said you should use at least a 3-2-1 backup policy on all your digital files. 3 copies, 2 media, 1 offside. For example, have backups on at least two USB devices (hard drives preferred) and one backup in the "cloud" google drive, idrive, carbonite as a few examples.

now for the files. documents should be saved to PDF or PDF/A (archival format)

photos should be converted from JPG, PNG or GIF to TIF format. TIF is a lossless stable format, each time you copy from the other formats a bit of data is lost.

There is a lot more about digital preservation with checking the integrity of the files over time (fixity).

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help, I'm still learning about digital preservation.

Your first steps should be to copy the files from the thumb drive to a folder on a computer and then upload them to your google drive account.

Jon Winter Douglas County Historical Society 1101 John Avenue Superior WI 54880 Business Manager 715-392-8449

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 9:01 AM Erik Flesch <museumdirector@platteville.org<mailto:museumdirector@platteville.org>> wrote: Diana,

Why not just keep the data on the thumb drive?

Erik

Erik Flesch

Museum Director

The Mining & Rollo Jamison Museums | City of Platteville

405 East Main Street/P.O. Box 780 | Platteville, WI 53818

(608) 348-3301<tel:(608)%20348-3301>

museumdirector@platteville.org<mailto:museumdirector@platteville.org> | mining.jamison.museum<http://mining.jamison.museum>

[signature-logo-leftalign]

Sent from my iPhone