Re: Newspaper Clippings

Helen Stoltz-Wood (helen.f.stoltz-wood@my.uwrf.edu)
Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:51:51 +0000

From: Helen Stoltz-Wood <helen.f.stoltz-wood@my.uwrf.edu>
Subject: Re: Newspaper Clippings
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:51:51 +0000

Great Job explaining the system - even I understood how to do it - with the
 correct equipment. Thanks/h
________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu < <localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu> on behalf of russhanson <russhanson@grantsburgtelcom.net> Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 10:32 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Cc: dewalter <dewalter@cheqnet.net> Subject: Re: Newspaper Clippings

On 2021-04-10 07:44, dewalter wrote:
> On 2021-04-08 17:55, Douglas County Historical Society wrote:
>> Looking for what other historical organizations do with newspaper
>> clippings. Generally in the past we did not save clippings, but
>> often photocopied them.
>>
>> Last year we received the archives of the Superior Telegram.
>> Previously we received the bound books of newspapers collection.
>> Last year we received the microfilm collection and the file archive
>> collection. The file archives have photos, clippings and other items
>> such as programs and booklets by subject in large manila envelopes.
>> I have concerns for keeping the clippings long term.
>>
>> Jon Winter
>> Douglas County Historical Society
>> 1101 John Avenue Superior WI 54880
>>
>> Business Manager
>> 715-392-8449
>
> Donate them to Ancestry Newspapers, or some other genealoghical
> organization that would mcke them available online for researchers
> Dave Walter
> MHS

    One of the most useful way to organize clippings is to photograph or scan them and put the files on your google cloud drive where they get automatically OCR done (optical character recognition) and become completely searchable by text. We use a foot pedal camera scanning unit that makes this rapid. As to the original material, I suggest checking with your local Wisconsin Historical Society archives at the university in your area and see if they will take them. Scrapbooks of clippings are pretty useless without a great deal of indexing if you don't scan and ocr them for searchability. I really like the google drive route for that with its main flaw only the owner of the cloud drive can do the searching -- you can't share the search function for the whole drive without giving acct and password access. We get around this by having a drop-in computer at the museum connected via internet to the drive with access.

Russ Hanson Sterling Eureka and Laketown Historical Society.