Re: What is the paddle object

Teddie Meronek (teddiem1999@yahoo.com)
Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:40:18 -0600

Subject: Re: What is the paddle object
From: Teddie Meronek <teddiem1999@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:40:18 -0600

If you look closely at the Superior Public Library's murals (they're on the w ebsite) you might find canoe paddles similar to the ones in the photograph. C arl Gawboy's three panel painting,The North West Company's Sloop Laloutre Su pplying Fort St. Louis, Spring, 1794, depicts people in canoes headed for th e fort with paddles that are somewhat like the ones in the photo . I know th at Carl Gawboy and Dr. Paul Gaboriault, former library director, did extensi ve research to make sure that the details of the paintings were historically
 correct.

Sent from my iPad

@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Rita Frakes

@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas County Historical Society
> Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2022 1:02 PM
> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu
> Subject: What is the paddle object
>
> What is the paddle object these young ladies are holding?
>
> Jon Winter
> Douglas County Historical Society
> 1101 John Avenue Superior WI 54880
> Business Manager
> 715-392-8449
>
> The City of Milwaukee is subject to Wisconsin Statutes related to public r
ecords. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and r eceivers of City of Milwaukee e-mail should presume that e-mail is subject t o release upon request, and is subject to state records retention requiremen ts. See City of Milwaukee full e-mail disclaimer at www.milwaukee.gov/email_ disclaimer