Re: Using Facebook to do a local history project

wyward (wyward@yahoo.com)
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 17:44:56 +0000 (UTC)

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 17:44:56 +0000 (UTC)
From: wyward <wyward@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Using Facebook to do a local history project

 Hi All,   Appleton Historical Society has had a Facebook Group p age for about 6 years, we have over 5k of members in that group starting th is year, but not all active posters. We post a daily picture or someone els e will, and that keeps it active with many discussions. we also sometimes u se it to do Live presentations. Our Youtube page we post any presentations that we tape and other local old home movies that we find interesting.Â
 Because of covid there have a few been social isolation and archiving gr ants available that may help with the cost of creating content for sharing with those isolated from the outside world. Brian SchneiderAHS

    On Saturday, January 29, 2022, 11:15:59 AM CST, sara m steele <smsteele
@wisc.edu> wrote: Oh, I like the involvement!  Good thinking Russ, and thanks for sharin g
  Is there a list somewhere of the Historical Societies that have a Facebook Page or regularly use Instagram or YouU Tube?
  I've been posting some Power Point picture stories exported as video clips on our CGAHS Facebook page, but hadn't.thought of it as a tool of involveme nt, other than asking for help in identifying some of the people in the pic tures which come from our image collection. I started doing them because I like to connect photos together and think they look much better on a monito r than in print.

 I'm beginning to explore building some electronic scrapbooks made up of ne wspaper clippings, photos and scans of maps, deeds, and other papers that f it together in a history of some local event, place, or person over time. H owever, I will probably export those as PDF's rather than video clips.

 Power Point is very easy to use.  One can add a little text to bridge
 from one item to another.

  Social media reaches folks who won't take time to come to a  museum or
 special exhibit as well as those keenly interested in history.  It al so can reach former residents and others  all over the country (and wo rld).

  Sara  from CGAHS