Re: Obsolete Media Laboratory setup

Emily Pfotenhauer (emily@wils.org)
Fri, 4 Feb 2022 14:34:41 -0600

From: Emily Pfotenhauer <emily@wils.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 14:34:41 -0600
Subject: Re: Obsolete Media Laboratory setup

Hi Russ,

That's an exciting project! RADD (Recovering Analog and Digital Data), developed by Dorothea Salo at the UW-Madison iSchool, has some great documentation for building a "data rescue" kit, including some specific recommended equipment and ideas on where to source it. https://radd.dsalo.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/BuildDocumentation.pdf

There are several public libraries in Wisconsin that have set up similar digitization labs for patrons to use. The Frank L. Weyenberg Library in Mequon-Thiensville had great documentation of the equipment they use, plus how-to videos: http://www.flwlib.org/Facilities/Facility/Details/Digitization-Lab-6

Closer to your side of the state, I know the Archives and Area Research Center at UW-River Falls has equipment for recovering data from VHS tapes, 3.5" floppies, ZIP disks, CDs and DVDs; they might be able to share some info on their setup and the workflows they use.

Finally, it's a little old (2012) but this paper from OCLC is a good step-by-step walk-thru of getting data off of media like floppy disks or Zip drives and adding that content to your museum or archives collections. https://www.oclc.org/content/dam/research/publications/library/2012/2012-06.pdf

------- Emily Pfotenhauer Recollection Wisconsin emily@wils.org https://recollectionwisconsin.org 608-616-9756